Ch.14 - What's in a friend?

Start from the beginning

But even if that somehow worked, he wasn't sure if he would have his mouth to ask questions anyway.

Also, all of that assumed that Banjo had answers to begin with. Izuku had figured he wasn't told about the pain because its original user never had that problem.

Just like Bakugou could let off rapid-fire explosions without blowing out his ears, or how Kaminari doesn't electrocute himself. People were often born with added mutations or adaptions that made their Quirk function without harming themselves too much.

Banjo was probably no different.

The more Izuku thought about it, the more he realised he would likely have a similar problem with all the Quirks he was getting.

He sighed. "So much for getting an easy power boost. I'll have to figure them all out on top of One-For-All..."

For all his concerns, Izuku really wanted to know what was causing his current problem in the first place. If he could pinpoint the pain, he might be able to devise a workaround... or at the very least, a method for training Black-Whip to the point where the boy isn't in pain when he uses it.

'This almost feels nostalgic. I get a brand-new Quirk that hurts me, and I'm practically on my own with figuring it out...'

Wondering if this was just 'the story of his life,' Izuku moved his hand towards the tendrils, touching them to see if he could learn anything.

Upon making contact with the tendrils, Izuku felt an odd response. Via the tendrils, Izuku found he could feel his hand, but the sensation was off. It wasn't quite a sense of touch so much as it was a kind of echo of it.

He stopped to think, mumbling feverishly. "What does this mean? ...Are the tendrils connected to my nerves? I guess they would have to be, but why is it like this...?"

From this, Izuku determined a few things:

The tendrils were linked to his nerve endings.The tendrils had some dulled capacity for touch.Black-Whip was messing with his nerves, and that was causing the pain.

Izuku's theory was that the tendrils were growing from his nerve endings, like sprouting new limbs. This process, combined with the tug and pull that the tendrils performed when used on targets, strained his nerves and resulted in the stinging.

He sighed again, staring dryly at the wee-baby tendrils. "Which means the only way to train this... is to get used to it."

Pinching his brow at how long this was probably going to take, Izuku wrapped the tendrils around his arms under the sleeves of his suit, resolving to keep them out whenever possible to force himself to get used to the tingling and then continue increasing the size from there.

Hopefully, his body will get used to it quickly, and he'll be working with reasonably sized tendrils soon.

'Now, to get back to figuring out who I'm supposed to tell about One-For-All...'