199: Lost All Feeling

Start from the beginning

"I said let her go." Mercury's eyes darkened.

"Oh? And what are you going to do about it?" Tyrian jeered at him. "Those Silver Eyes of your won't help you against me, boy."

Mercury blinked in surprise.

"What? Did you really think we didn't know?" Tyrian said. "I can't say I was even that surprised. There was always that annoying, noble attitude on your side. Bah," he scoffed. "You children have no vision."

"I think my vision isn't destroying the entire world so that the gods can kill me," Mercury said. "Check your facts, Callows. Salem's only doing this to serve herself--it wasn't ever about making the world different."

"But of course," Tyrian said. "That's what you just don't see. Pure destruction incarnate is the only way!"

"You're a sick man," Mercury said. "The rest of us happen to like being alive."

"Life is overrated," Tyrian said.

"Then do us a favor and go jump off a cliff yourself," Mercury said. [I don't advocate telling people to do this, btw.]

"But I can't. I have a job to finish," Tyrian said.

Emerald gasped, but she began to slip her knife upward into gun form.

"Even if you think we can't take you," Mercury said, cautiously, "there's plenty of the group around here who'd love to take you out. You won't escape."

"But I will," Tyrian said. "They're all divided, and the goddess has provided some other distractions. I'll be long gone by the time they realize what happened. You can be sure Cinder will ensure that."

"Cinder?" Mercury said warily.

"Oh, yes, she's helping us deal with you vermin," Tyrian babbled on. "And now all that remains is to take a hostage. Salem has ruled that I needed one alive, regrettably. Now, back off and she'll stay alive."

"Why would you want Emerald? She's not the most powerful," Mercury said carefully.

Emerald got ready to pull the trigger.

"Oh--" Tyrian hastily grabbed her wrist with one of his hands and twisted her arm so painfully that she dropped her knife and bit her tongue.

Mercury stepped forward, but Tyrian held up his weapon and laughed psychotically. "It doesn't really matter which of you it is. Salem knows that your guides are too soft to let any of you die. And perhaps a small, weak one will be more appropriate. Just think how easy it would be to break her."

He squeezed Emerald's arm harder, and she felt tears prick her eyes since she couldn't scream instead.

Just run, Mercury, she thought. He's crazy. He'll kill one of us if he doesn't need both of us alive. Just go...

But Salem capturing her? That was a fate worse than death!

No no no!

Mercury knew perfectly well that he couldn't stop Tyrian alone, Tyrian was much faster than him and he didn't care about protecting anyone.

Also he knew Tryian would take more delight in torturing Emerald since she was so obviously afraid of him.

He didn't want to provoke him into killing her on the spot.

He lowered his hands and feet.

"I'm surprised you'd want to take her then," he said flatly. "Out of the two of us, I'm the more valuable hostage."

Emerald's eyes widened at him.

"Oh, you think so?" Tyrian said.

"Yeah, duh, I've killed more grimm than anyone else on the mission," Mercury didn't know if that was true, it had to be close though. "They need me. Plus Salem is after Silver Eyed Warriors, and, I sold you out. Why would you pass me up? Are you scared?"