64: Without A Fight

The flight to Vale was uncomfortable. Raven regretted agreeing to it with Qrow there, glaring at her whenever he looked her way.

But it would have looked chicken to back out now...

"I'd promote Whitley if he was legally old enough to work." Shine was checking her scroll. "This itinerary is impressive. I've only worked retail for a short time, but dang, it looks better than what we had."

"Remind me why we had to be here for this?" Qrow said. "Can't you talk to Goodwitch yourself?"

"Oh please, she's terrifying," Shine said. "Why do it myself if I can make you do it? Besides, Glynda mentioned to me in the latest update I got from her that there might be someone else you'd like to have a little chat with."

"If it's the council, no way," Qrow said.

"I would find it beneficial to speak to them," Winter said. "Professor Goodwitch is not enough support. We'll need theirs also."

"Good point," Shine said. "Well, I do know a shopkeeper who owes Ruby a favor also... Raven, suppose we stop in at Vale first and drop you off when we circle back?"

"Why would I spend one second longer in this plane than I need to? I'll just jump out when we get close," Raven said.

She had no intention of telling them exactly where to land--that would be crazy.

"But suppose it takes a while to find it?" Shine said. "We could refuel in Vale first."

"I'll just fly. I don't need your help. You're just saving me energy," Raven said. "Of course you could just drop me there with your portals and save even more time."

"Oh, what's a few hours of flight time?" Shine leaned on the wall. "As long as we don't look down."

"Funny, for someone who apparently hates heights, you picked the higher option," Qrow said.

"I always pick the higher option," Shine said archly.

"Except when it comes to men," Raven said.

"Say that again and you can picture yourself flying back from the middle of Vacuo after all," Shine said tightly. "Also, cheap shot. Do I insult your taste in men?"

"I don't know, have you ever met my ex?" Raven said.

"Tai isn't so bad," Shine said. "Unless you have another ex hidden in your closet somewhere."

Winter rolled her eyes. "Can we discuss something more pertinent than...whatever it is you're referring to?"

"Schnees all have saltwater in their veins instead of blood," Raven said, shrugging.

"I suppose now is the time to fill you two in on Alicia," Shine said. "Might as well save some time for when we get back. Winter will be wanting to check the field anyway."

Winter gave her an odd look but then shrugged. "Fine, who is this Alicia?"

"Alicia Vundar," Shine said. "Apparently she was what I and Wally are, many hundreds of years ago..."

Shine told the story better than Ozpin had, since she lacked the incoherence of getting emotional about it, until she was very serious towards the end.

Raven, smug because she already knew, didn't find much else to be happy about. Hearing it again made her realize even more how messed up it was.

"All this happened because Ozpin refused to heed her warning?" Winter was aghast. "How could he be so foolish?"

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Shine said. "How someone can point out the obvious and wisest course of action, and yet people will tell them they have no idea what they're talking about and proceed to do exactly what they want."