Chapter 13

The fighting is messy, there are so many of them and so many of us

The fighting is messy, there are so many of them and so many of us. Thankfully we have fought most of them before, like the Chitari, so we know what kills them. Makes it easier, and more efficient. Just as I am fighting one of the Chitari soldiers a see a blast shoot past my head, I look back and see a soldier fall to the ground. Wide-eyed I look back and see Shuri standing there with a Wakandan weapon in hand "You're welcome." She shoots before heading off to fight some more. I chuckle and shake my head before going into the fighting.

I create a portal just as one of the giant aliens runs at me, he lands on his before Thor who smashes him in with his axe. He looks up at me with a smirk and I wink back at him. Gotta make fighting fun somehow. "Cap" I hear Clint say over our comms "what do you want me to do with this damn thing?" He means the gauntlet, I see him running in the distance. "Get those things as far away as possible." Steve orders, I slam my body into an alien, pulling two blades from my suit and gutting him with them. "No!" Bruce shouts in contradiction "We need to get them back to where they came from." I grit my teeth and slam my power into the earth, causing the large group of aliens in front of me to pulsate with golden energy before dropping to the floor "No way to them back." I argue "Thanos destroyed the quantum tunnel."

In the distance, I spot Scott descale from his giant form as he says "Wait. That wasn't our only Time Machine." I throw my body against an alien about to attack Peter Parker from behind, the monster claws at me but doesn't succeed in harming me before I kill it. "Anyone sees an ugly brown van out there?" Steve asks everyone Valkerie answers almost immediately "Yes, but you're not gonna like where it's parked." Quickly a plan starts to form in everyone's mind, the only goal is getting the stones back to their timelines.

"Scott, how long do you need to get that thing working?" Tony asks, I shoot down multiple aliens, sweat dripping from my forehead. Panting heavily, I feel my energy depleting and so I conserve as much as I can, bringing out two daggers. Just regular ones but they do just as much damage. "Uh, maybe 10 minutes." Scott finally replies, I throw one of my daggers into an alien as I rugby tackle another, slicing its neck open "Get it started." I order "We'll get the stones to you." There are a few seconds pauses before an unfamiliar voice says "We're on it, Noel." And I realise that must be Hope that Scott keeps going on and on about.

An alien launches himself at me and I'm slow enough to react that he cuts my arm gently. I hiss in pain before using my power to rip his heart from his chest. Bastard. The fighting continues, none of us gives up the fight easily. "Noel!" A familiar voice shouts and Bucky shoots an alien that was about to swing and take my head with it. I smile at him affectionately "Thanks." He winks at me and I chuckle before continuing the fight. I see Peter Parker with the gauntlet, trying to fight off the bad guys as well as keep the stones safe so I decide to help him. As he swings by I make sure his path is clear, however, I miss one and then the alien knocks into Peter making him fall to the ground. I hear him groan in pain, although, I can't help him as I am already engaged in another fight.

Thanos orders to rain fire down on all of us, I throw a shield around me and anyone from our side that is close. I wince as the bullets rain down causing explosions all around us. "Find cover now!" I shout an order and people start running for safety. Of course, this would be the only way Thanos can beat us, make it so we can't fight. Not properly anyway. He knows we are stronger than he is, that we have beaten him before, even after the snap and we can do it again with the full force of us.

When the firing stops we all look up at the spaceship in the sky, whose guns are now turned upward towards space. Something is coming down. Then it comes zooming down and crashing in and through the ship causing it to explode. "Holy shit." I hear Bucky mutter and I smile as I realise who that is "She's on our side." I muse as though it wasn't entirely obvious by her launching herself into the enemy's ship. "Danvers." I hear Steve say through the comms "We need an assist." and the fighting continues. The fair fighting. There is a massive explosion that levels the entire battleground, everyone is launched in several different ways. I fall back and hit myself against the rubble of the Avengers Compound, I wince at the speed at which I landed knowing that's going to hurt like a bitch later.

As I help pull Bucky and Shuri up I notice Thanos has the glove on his hand which makes me feel sick. All of the hard work, all of the sacrifices that we made to right the wrong that he created. It's all going down the drain until I see Carol Danvers jump at Thanos and attempt to pull the glove off. My breath hitches in my throat and Bucky stands still beside me, frozen as I am. But then Carol is launched into the sky and away, I gasp before an alien grabs my shoulder, pulling me back.

I fall to the ground on my back, completely frozen in horror for a moment before I yank the gun from the holster at my side and shoot the alien three times in the head. it stumbles for several moments before collapsing with a thud. I engage in another battle just for the alien to turn to dust in front of my eyes.

This catches me off guard for a moment before I turn around, I spot people gathered around a body. I slowly make my way over, my heart pounding in my chest. As I reach them I notice the woman standing silently is Pepper, in front of him and kneeling in front of Tony is Peter Parker. Rhodey is standing beside Pepper, all of their faces distraught. "No," I whisper, not believing it. Tony snapped his fingers and the power of the stones was too much for him. He is dead.

I pull Peter away from Tony, silent tears falling from my face. "He can't be gone." He cries into my chest as I hold him in a tight embrace "We won, he's not supposed to be dead. He saved the world." I gently run my hand over his hair comfortingly, trying not to fall apart as this boy does in my arms. I need to be strong for him.

"I am so sorry Pepper." This is the first thing I say when she stands back up. The woman nods her head solemnly and my heart shatters when I remember Morgan. What is she going to tell their daughter?