Chapter 3

We get to the Avengers compound, I help Vision down and let him lean on me as we head inside

We get to the Avengers compound, I help Vision down and let him lean on me as we head inside. Rhodey is standing face to face with a hologram of Secretary Ross as we enter the room, they both look over at us "Mr Secretary." Steve acknowledges shortly and he steps towards us, trying to cover the shock on his face. "You have some nerve." He muses letting his eyes flick between all of us "I'll give you that." Natasha stares him down completely unaffected by the look he is giving her.

"You could use some of that right now." She fires back, Ross clicks his tongue and moves to stand in front of Steve "the world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?" I roll my eyes at how black and white he sees this right now as I assume he already knows about the aliens that attacked Vision and Wanda. I step closer to Steve as Sam takes Vision from me, "I'm not looking for forgiveness." Steve tells the other man simply "and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight." He steps down so he is almost eye level with the hologram "if you wanna stand in our way..." He continues calmly "we'll fight you too."

The grey-haired man turns back to Rhodey who is looking at all of us with folded arms "arrest them." He orders lowly as though we can't hear him and the other man sighs, looking fed up of him "all of it." He answers before shutting off the transmission. The computer beeps and Rhodey says "that's a court-martial." There is a pause before he smiles "it's great to see you Cap." the two men clasp hands and shake them before I follow behind. "Hey you." He says a wide smile on his face as he embraces me, he then hugs Natasha before sighing. "Wow." He breathes "you guys... really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

Sam smiles as if remembering something "yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." He jests. Bruce and Natasha have a little moment that I take note of to tease them both about later, because I am nice like that.

-

"So we gotta assume they're coming back right?" Rhodes asked after everyone is completely filled in "and they can clearly find us." Wanda muses, her hand raised to her mouth. I run a hand through my loose hair "we need all hands on deck." Bruce says his voice still panicked "where's Clint?" Natasha who is standing behind him answers with a severe looking frown on her face "after the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're on house arrest."

Banner frowns and scratches the back of his neck nervously "who's Scott?" he asks and I sit down on a chair, hands resting on my lap "Ant-Man." I answer. This earns wide, confused eyes from Bruce "there's an Ant-man and a Spider-man?" He asks in shock and we all nod in confirmation. "Alight look." Bruce says redirecting the conversation "Thanos has the biggest army in the universe... and he is not gonna stop until he gets... Visions stone."

Nat swings her arms at her sides as she says firmly "then we have to protect it." Vision, who hasn't said a word since we got here and is currently standing by the window clutching his side cuts in "no, we have to destroy it." We all look over at him in silence "I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head. About it's nature. But also it's composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source. Something very similar to its own signature... its molecular integrity could fail."

He is standing directly in front of Wanda now, both of them staring at each other as though they might miss something if they blink. "Yeah and you with it." She adds softly "we're not having this conversation." Vision lowers his voice as well, neither of them looking away from one another "eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it." Wanda softly shakes her head "that's too high a price." Vision then cups Wanda's face as though he has done it a thousand times before.

"Only you have the power to pay it." He says gently and I look away as I notice her eyes start to tear up. Wanda walks away but Vision starts talking to all of us now "Thanos threatens half the universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him." Steve looks down at the table I am sitting at and raises his eyebrows "but it should." He argues "we don't trade lives Vision." The robot walks towards him, a soft admiring expression on his face "Caption, 70 years ago you laid down your life to save how many millions of people?" He points out "tell me, why is this any different?" Steve walks towards him as well and tilts his head.

Before he can speak however Bruce cuts in "because you might have a choice." Everyone turns their heads to look at Bruce "your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, Me, Noel, The Stone. All of them mixed together, all of them learning from one another." I stand up, letting my legs stretch out "you're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda says putting her hands in the back pockets of her pants. Bruce turns back to look at her "I'm saying that if we take out the stone. There's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

Natasha looks between me and Bruce "can we do that?" She asks and Bruce shakes his head "not me, not here." Rhodey folds his arms and leans against a wall. "well, you better find someone and somewhere fast." He says. I lock eyes with Steve and he subtly nods his head so no one else notices, I clear my throat gathering their attention "I know somewhere."