Chapter 8

"Jack!" I call playfully, a smirk balancing on my face

"Jack!" I call playfully, a smirk balancing on my face. I am staying with Phastos and his husband before I decide where I want to go. They are out having lunch, a date, while I babysit their kid. We are currently playing hide and seek, I spotted him a while ago, under the table and I can hear his giggles but I pretend not to be able to see him.

I search a round a little more, pretending not to see him. I circle around the table and surprise him by yanking him out by his ankles "I found you." I say and start to tickle him. Jack squeals and wiggles away from me, racing through the house. I chase after him, letting him get away. He reaches the door just as it opens and I swipe him up in one hand "dad!" He calls throwing his arms around Ben's neck, he takes him from me and nods subtly.

"How was your lunch?" I ask Phastos as we make for the kitchen, Ben and Jack are in the living room making lots of noise. "Good." He answers putting the kettle on and resting against the counter, Phastos and I have always bonded over our love of human kind and their ability to evolve but of course like many of the other Eternals, he gave up on them. He makes us coffee "you would love the place we went too." He continues "they do an amazing lasagna, I know how much you love that."

He stops what he is doing and leans over the counter, two steaming cups of coffee in front of him. I wrap my arms around myself self consciously "I know you want to ask." I say quietly "so do it." Phastos sighs and turns around "how badly do you have to act for you to gather the attention of a celestial?" I wince at how harsh the question comes out and I look to the floor.

Besides Ajak, Phastos is the only other person I look to for guidance and hearing him speak like that makes my stomach and heart twist into several knots. "I didn't do anything wrong." I answer and he scoffs, handing me my drink "I very much doubt that." I look up at him then, my eyes cold and my voice brutal "I told you this out of confidence in you Phastos not so that you can sit on your high horse. Look at Arishem made you do." My voice is rising "he made you invent these things that let humans kills one another and yet you stand there and judge me? For helping them fight a war against evil?" I shake my head.

We stand in awkward silence before Phastos finally speaks again "you have always been the most wayward of us you know." I bring my mug up to my lips "you always questioned everything that we did. Except when it came to the deviants of course but everything else. Well there was never anything that got passed you." I smile softly knowing he means it as a compliment. "But something Noelle, you have to learn is that not everything is a fight. You don't have to fight these human battles, not if you could ensue the wrath of Arishem."

I place a hand on my heart and pout "awe Phastos is that you actually admitting you care for me?" I tease, he scoffs but it counteracts the smile that is now widening on his face "come off it Noelle, you are my favourite." I laugh and shake my head, placing my drink back on the side "you don't have a favourite. You hate all of us equally."

That night at dinner we are sitting around the table Jack was hiding under earlier. "So Noelle, what is it that you?" Ben asks me as I finish piling my plate with delicious smelling food "oh I uh-" I say a little unsure what I should tell him. Thankfully Phastos cuts in and answers for me "she works for the government." Ben raises his eyebrows in surprise "seriously? What's that like?" He asks and I nod, stabbing a piece of meat with my fork "yeah it's interesting, keeps me on my toes." He snorts and places a piece of food in his mouth "yeah I can see that."

We lapse back into silence in which Phastos gives me threatening looks and I roll my eyes "so Phastos tells me that you work in business." I say forcing a conversation. Phastos' husband nods his head "yeah, it's pretty boring." He changes the subject "so you and Phas went to collage together." I nod my head, it's the story that we all tell others when they ask how we all know each other.

"Yeah." I answer between bites "he studied engineering if you can believe it." We all laugh. Ben tilts his head to the side "and what did you major in?" I swallow trying to think of something off the top of my head "English lit." I say and Ben seems to find this amusing "and you ended up working for the government." I chuckle awkwardly and give Phastos a side way glance "yeah...."

I help Phastos put his son to sleep and we stop in the hall. I close the door slowly and my phone buzzes. I take it out and it's Steve. "Hey." I say with a breath of relief "glad to see your still alive." Phastos gives me a funny look and follows me as I walk down the hall, I make for the back door and step out into the cold yard "yeah, well it hasn't been easy." He says through the phone.

I smile "what is it?" I ask, he wouldn't have risked calling me if it wasn't urgent "Bucky made the decision to be frozen again." He says after a moment "he wants you here." I bite the inside of my cheek. I look up at the night sky, the same sky I have looked up at for thousands of years "ok, I'll be there." He sighs almost thankfully "good."

The call ends and I turn back to the house "you are going aren't you." Phastos says with his arms crossed, he is standing in the doorway and I take note of how at ease he seems here. I wonder if the others have found such peace? "I will be back." I promise, I move to walk past him but he grabs my wrist turning me around "I just hope you know what your doing Noelle." He says gently.

I nod my head, throwing my hands around his neck in a hug "they are as much my family as you are Phas." I whisper "and we are always there for each other." He squeezes me tightly and I close my eyes "you have the biggest heart Noelle and I love you for it."

I step back and nod my head "I'll go. Before either of us starts to cry." We laugh and create a portal, It shines bright and I hope that no one in the neighbouring houses notices. I step through the portal without another goodbye.

I get to Wakanda in record time although the reception I receive is far from warming. The guards are just going to arrest me when T'Challa comes to the rescue "my king." They say and he waves them off "she is a friend, unhand her." They do and I smile. He smiles back and holds out a hand "come I will show you the lab." I nod and follow him to where Steve and Bucky are waiting.

"You really shouldn't do that here." T'Challa says as we move down different halls. I place my hands in my pants pockets "why? Keeps them on their toes." T'Challa laughs and I smile "you are lucky they did not kill you on sight." He says. I roll my eyes and push open a door "well lucky I'm friends with their king now isn't it." He shakes his head and follows me into the room.

Inside the room are a bunch of scientists, Bucky is sitting on a bed, his metal arm removed and Steve is standing opposite him. They both look at me as I enter and I nod my head "you sure about this?" Steve asks his friend. Bucky looks down forlornly "I can't trust my own mind." I watch as he flexes his fingers on his right hand gently "so until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head. I think going back under is the best thing."

My heart twists at how sad he sounds, I know he doesn't really want to go back under. That much is clear from his thoughts but he is also aware that he won't do any good if people can just control him whenever they want. I step forward and flick my hair over my shoulder "if you wish to know about your past, anything I am able to supply I will hand over." He nods and gives me a grateful look "thank you Noelle." I smile gently at him and try to block out his thoughts although they are loud "if you wish I can also be here when you wake, whenever that is." A ghost of a smile appears on both of us and he says "I appreciate it."

Steve and I are asked to stand back while Bucky gets into his little pod. Steve cross his arms, worry written across his face "he'll be ok Steve." I tell him and he nods "I know, I just wish I didn't have to leave him." I look down at my hands, they are unsurprisingly smooth, Ajak always healed over any wounds never even leaving a scar. I wish I had a scar, just one, to show I have lived.

"If you ever need anything you know where I am." I say and he takes me by the hand "you have been a good friend Noelle. I am sorry I dragged you into all of this." I shrug and let my hand fall to my side "human battles aren't supposed to be my own but I guess a few of you have grown on me." Steve smiles weakly and we head for the door.