Chapter 6

Tony and Pepper decide to postpone their trip away but invite me to stay nonetheless and I gladly take it

Tony and Pepper decide to postpone their trip away but invite me to stay nonetheless and I gladly take it. Glad to be out of the city for a while. After dinner, Morgan asks me to tuck her in that night, so I tell her I will be up soon to do it before following her father into his office. This idea of time travel has been playing on his mind since the others left and I know he wants to see, on his own, whether it will work out. I settle down on a desk against the far wall. "I've got mild inspiration." He tells me turning on the hologram screen.

"I'd like to see if it checks out." He explains and I wrap my knitted cardigan around my body tightly "I'd like to run one last sim before we pack it in for the night. This time in the shape of...." He trails off thinking about what might work when I cut in with "a Mobius strip." Tony catches my eye and nods, walking around the table. FRIDAY starts working on the request and Tony starts changing it as she does "right, give me the eigenvalue of that particle factoring in spectral decomp. That'll take a second."

I get off of the desk and come closer to where he is working, placing a friendly arm on his shoulder. "Don't worry if it doesn't work." I say stealing his drink but then a message appears on the screen as FRIDAY finishes the rendering 'MODEL SUCCESSFUL.' This catches us both off gaurd and my friend collapses in his chair. We both exhale sharply "shit!" He exclaims and I laugh in disbelief.

Then a soft, childlike voice repeats "shit!" And we both whirl around to see Morgan Stark sitting on the bottom step staring at us with her cute brown eyes. I smile affectionately and Tony puts a finger to his lips "what are you doing up little miss?" He asks in a whisper. She smiles again "shit." I have to cover my mouth to keep from laughing and encouraging her. Tony shakes his head "nope, we don't say that." He tells his daughter and I add swiftly "only mummy says that word. She coined it. It belongs to her." Morgan wiggles around on the step for a moment.

"Why are you up?" She repeats her father's earlier question innocently and he leans on the arm of his chair "because I have important shit going on here!" And Morgan pulls an adorable face, scrunching up her nose and tilting her head slightly. "I got something on my mind." He says seriously and Morgan asks "was it juice pops?" I nod my head and make my way over to her before picking her up "it certainly was cricket, good guess. What flavour do you want?"

She wraps her small arms around my neck gently "orange." I gasp "orange!" and she giggles. Once she has the juice pop I take her up to her room while Tony goes to sit with his wife.

"You done?" I ask as Morgan tries to hand me a half-finished pop and she nods. I use the back of my cardigan to wipe her mouth "good." I say with a smile before pushing her head back against her pillow "that face goes there." She giggles loudly and she clutches my hand tightly in both of hers. "Tell me a story." She says sleepily and I tilt my head to the side "a story." I ponder theatrically "once upon a time, Maguna went to bed. The end."

She scrunches up her nose again "that is a terrible story." She tells me honestly and I straighten my head again "come on, that's your favourite story." I insist before leaning forward and kissing her on the forehead "love you tons Cricket." I say and as I reach for the door Morgan replies "I love you three thousand Auntie Noey." I gasp as I reach the door handle. "Wow." I say "3000 that's crazy. Go to bed or I'll get your dad to sell all your toys."

I go down the stairs and join the other two in the living room. As I sit down on an armchair I say "Morgan loves me three thousand, you guys can suck it. I'm her favourite." Pepper and Tony laugh and I smile playfully "wathca reading?" I ask Pepper as Tony stares at our model across the room. "Just a book on composting." She says and I nod casually. "What's new about composting?" Tony asks absently, trying to make it seem like he is in on the conversation. "Interesting science.." Pepper starts before her husband rudely cuts her off, honestly no manners.

"I figured it out." He says his head snapping in our direction "by the way." Pepper looks up at him from her comfortable position on the couch "and, you know, so we're talking about the same thing..." She says because he seems to be having his own conversation. "Time travel." He says casually and this catches Pepper unaware as her arms drops into her lap "what?" She asks as though she didn't hear him "that's amazing and terrifying." Tony comes and sits down on the sofa next to his wife.

I yawn fakingly and stand up "I'm beat, I'll see you in the morning guys." And I head up to the guest bedroom leaving them with some privacy.