Cana and Lucas Preview <3

13 years later...

Cana's P.O.V.

Some questions are better left unanswered. Some mysteries are better left unravelled.

There are certain situations in life where it is much more beneficial for us not to know the answer, while there are also situations where seeking an answer can give you the closure you want and can lead to healing, personal growth, or understanding. But the real question is, where should you draw the line? When is it necessary to seek an answer, and when is it necessary to just leave everything behind and move on?

I reach to the middle of my chest and feel the warmth of the crystal as it starts to reveal itself to the naked eye. The crystal glimmers against my touch, and its heat starts to burn my skin, but I choose to ignore the pain.

'It's closing in.' I sigh and turn my gaze at the wide marshland before me. The place is begrudgingly beautiful at first glance. However, the more I look at it, the more I start to have that uneasy feeling inside of me. Something is hidden beneath the surface, literally.

It feels odd to be here, to be in a place that is a complete stranger to me, yet at the same time, very familiar.

I lock the door of my car and step onto the wooden platform that serves as a path towards the forest to get around the vast marshland without worrying about getting drenched by the water. The wooden platform looks really old; in fact, there are some parts of it that are already starting to rot.

I ignore the warning inside my head and start to make my way across the platform towards the autumnal forest that is very familiar to me. I've been here before. I remember this path very vividly from my dream.

I step off the wooden platform, and the sound of my footsteps is swallowed by an eerie silence that seems to engulf the entire forest. My heart races with anticipation as I take in my surroundings, the trees towering above me like ominous giants. Suddenly, a chorus of crows breaks the silence, their piercing cries sending shivers down my spine, their wings beating against the air in a frenzied panic.

I take a deep breath and try to ignore the panic that is starting to burst from within me. I steel myself and start to follow the familiar path. This is the first time I've been here, but I know that at the end of this path lies the entrance to a temple made of stone and ivory.

At last, the end of the path comes into view. A small entrance to some kind of tunnel made of ancient stone looms before me. Two imposing statues stand guard on either side, each depicting a beautiful female figure with a lower body of a white snake sculpted from gleaming ivory.

The Lakvia, the very creature that has nested in this town for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. It is the very creature that was able to create a distinct connection with the settlers of this town. It is a cursed creature known to devour the heart and souls of its enemies, and the creature that was destroyed by my father more than 13 years ago, or at least, that is what they chose to believe.

I reach one of the statues, feeling its coldness against my pale skin. A smile curves on my lips as the feeling of belonging starts to envelop my being. Finally, I'm home.