Chapter 1

Willow's P.O.V.

The echoes of their whispers and prayers are spoken in an unknown language fill my ear as I lay flat on my back on a cold stone altar. I want to move, but I cannot. My breathing becomes heavy as fear starts to eat me from within. I want to run, to escape, but my body refuses to cooperate. They are all around me, encircling me, but the darkness doesn't allow me to see their faces. I can only see the outline of the black robes they are wearing.

Who are they? Where am I? I take a deep inhale, my palms closing in tight fists. I need to escape. I need to get out of here—.

That is when one of the men surrounding me pulls something out from his robe. A frightened gasp escaped my throat upon seeing a silver dagger in the man's hand while the others continued their chant around me. He raised the dagger in the air, and I would definitely appreciate how beautifully crafted it was if it wasn't aimed directly at my chest. I struggle against the invisible chains that are pinning me. My survival instinct kicked in, but to no avail. I couldn't even make my fingers move.

I close my eyes tightly, praying to all the gods and goddesses to end my nightmare. Then it happens, and the place goes deadly silent. I can no longer hear their whispers and their prayers. The only thing I can hear clearly is my ragged breathing. I swallow the lump of fear stuck in my throat as I slowly open my eyes. I can only wish I didn't do that because my eyes snapped open just in time for me to see the man holding the dagger thrust it down straight to my chest. I feel its sharp blade break through my skin, tearing my flesh in a swift yet painful way, blood oozing from my chest as tears well up from the side of my eyes.

"No... No... No..." I whimper, and then my eyes slowly open, revealing the old tacky wallpaper in my room that I hated so much.

I gasp and then rise from the bed with my hand clutching my chest, panting for air. There's no wound from the dagger. There's no blood covering my chest, so I think that's a good thing. My gaze snaps towards the open window of my room where I can feel the night breeze coming in. I frown. I don't remember opening it before I fell asleep tonight.

'Ting'

The sound of my phone from the side table takes my attention. I grab it from the side table and immediately press the answer button. I stand up from the bed and make my way to the open window to close it.

"Mija, are you okay?" My tiya Olivia's worried voice greeted me from the other line.

I open my lips to respond to her, but words get stuck in my throat upon seeing a man wearing a black robe standing across the road facing our house. The streetlight where he is standing blinks a few times, and then he vanishes like a cloud of smoke right before my eyes, making me think that what I see is just a hallucination. Fear starts to close in as my faceless enemies start to take form. The men from my nightmares.

"Mija, are you there? Is something wrong?" My tiya calls my attention again.

I reach out for my window and slam it close.

"They're here, tiya." I said in between ragged breathing. I'm scared, and I want to run, but I know it's too late. They're closing in so much faster than we expected.