Chapter 7

Bleidd's P.O.V.

My forehead contorts as I look at the documents my assistant has provided me. After learning that Fiona and I have children, I decided to conduct a deeper investigation into her disappearance after she rejected my proposal.

Last night was a total shock. At first, I was sceptical of Willow's sudden appearance with the twins and her claims that she had met Fiona. But since my wolf acknowledged her as our mate, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. When I saw the twins last night, I was baffled, and I realised that Willow was not lying at all. My wolf immediately recognised our pups, demanding to claim and protect them, along with their mother.

My hold on the documents tightens. The universe must be conspiring against us. The fact that Fiona chose my fated mate to protect our children, whether she did that intentionally or not after she rejected my proposal to be my chosen mate, makes this a very eerie coincidence. What are the odds of it happening?

"What does it say?" Ryder asks, drawing my attention. He is my beta, and just like me, he is curious about what happened to Fiona and how we didn't notice she was pregnant when she left the metropolis.

I am a werewolf, and I should have been able to scent it if Fiona was pregnant, but I didn't. None of my packmates noticed it either, which leads to the conclusion that Fiona purposely hid her pregnancy. But why? The excuse she gave me when she broke up with me and left the metropolis was that she didn't want to interfere with my mating once I met my fated mate. I didn't question it at the time.

As Willows said last night, her actions were selfless. But are they really? Now that the twins have been revealed, I have a feeling that there is so much more to this than meets the eye.

"The last information they gathered from her is from her credit card. The last time she used it was when she paid a toll fee on the south freeway. That was two days after she bid goodbye. Then after that, there's none. If she was pregnant and gave birth, there should be charges in here from the hospitals and other expenses from childbirth, but none." I drop the paper on my table, feeling frustrated at the lack of information. It's like she just vanished without a trace after this.

"If there are no hospital records or bills, then maybe she didn't give birth in a hospital," Ryder says as he picks up the document to read it. "It says here that the toll fee she paid is when she exits the freeway, entering the boundary of Gorwel and Môr-cet. Maybe we can start from there?"

I look at him and nod. "Good idea. Send someone to the location to investigate further. Send a group of two and give them strict instructions to observe, but do not engage at any cost. If Willow's conclusion about Fiona being murdered is correct, then we should not underestimate this."

"Fiona is a human. If she's been murdered by a supernatural, it will definitely be in the news," Ryder puts the document on the table and gives me a questioning look. "Do you remember anything about Fiona mentioning her family or close friends other than her co-workers?"

"No, unfortunately not." I let out a heave, feeling a bit guilty for not trying to know more about my ex-girlfriend. I remember asking her once about it, and she appeared to be uncomfortable as she evaded my question. I just assumed she didn't want to talk about it, and I respect that. I decided not to bring up that topic again.

A knock from my office takes our attention. The floral scent tells me it was Willow on the other side. Ryder looks at me and smirks.

"I guess that's my cue to leave." He says and stands up from his seat.