Chapter 4

Abbey

After a long day of school I was finally at my belt test. I was already changed and ready to go. I was really excited but nervous at the same time. I was practicing my two forms I need to learn for the test. I was in our training area, which the school calls the multi-purpose room. They will use this room for gym classes, SAT, Sport teams and other events. The floor were blue with a brownish orange wall padding. The ceiling was white but had a few cracks in it. I am not going to lie this isn't a good color combination but it's not like the school can afford to make the room look nice.

I walked in the room making sure by bag and shoes were out of the ways. I was in my white gi with the yellow belt on. I had my hair up so it wouldn't distract me. I went to the center of the room and practiced my forms. I made sure my moves were crisp and strong. My guy friend named Adam came over. He was deaf and a shape shifter. His normal appearance is a tall but really lean. He also as long brown hair, green eyes, and he always has a friendly smile on. He could only turn into other people though not animals. He doesn't mind though. He was testing for green belt too.

"Test you ready for?" he asked me.

"Yeah. Forms need know nothing more?" He looked confused.

"Instructor said forms, sparing and three step up to side kick and round house."

"Shit! Me only practice 3 step at practice." I began to worry about all of this. I am so fucking screwed. Three step is pretty much doing three moves and a counter. For example the attacker will throw three punches. The defender will do three blocks then an upper target punch. You can only make contact with the blocks but not the punch. But recently we learn move versions of it and I don't know if I know them well enough. What am I going to do?

"Chill. Instructors not here. Before we start practice with me." Just then Adam look over my shoulder.

"Who?" he pointed behind me. I turned around to see Jason. He had a smile on his face and a bunch of roses. Why is he here so early. Don't they just get of class now at his school. He came up to me and handed me the flowers. Then he did something I didn't expect.

"You... look... awe some," he sighed as he moved his lips. My eyes shot right open. I can't believe he actually signed and for me.

"Thank you," I signed back. He pulled out his phone. He typed something. Then he showed it to me.

"I hope I signed that right." I nodded my head with a smile and showed two thumbs up. He smiled. Just then Adam tapped my shoulder. I looked at him and saw he looked confused. Oh right he doesn't know him.

"He J-a-s-o-n. Yesterday me met him. He wants watch test." Jason Nodded. Adam looked at me.

"You deaf you?" he signed to Jason. He seemed confused and looked at me for for help.

"He hearing. Not know A-S-L."

"Great," he signed sarcastically. "Another hearing dumbass." I noticed more people were coming for the test.

"We should practice." I looked at Jason and I pointed at his phone. He handed it over.

"We need to get ready. Mind staying to the sides?" He gave me a thumbs up. He walked over to the walls and sat down. Adam and I go right into practicing three step but soon a lot of people were in the room and it was hard to move around but we managed.

Soon we went through basics which is pretty much the warm up. And as the saying goes if your not sweating a little by the end of basics you're not doing them right. Needless to say I was really sweating since I went hard. There are many black belts from many different school here to watch the belt test and grade me so I need to look good the entire time. We can't sit during basics so after I got my water I stretched and walked around. An interpreter was there because most of the black belts were hearing and needed to make sure we understood everything going on for the test.

Then it was announced, by in interpreter, that we were going to do a practice run before we did the forms for the test. We first did the white belt form you need for yellow belt and after that those kids sat down. Then they did the yellow belt forms for green belt and I felt like I did good with those.

After that I stepped off with the other yellow belts and practice my forms in the hallway. When I went through each form once I saw Jason by the door watching me with a smile. I smiled at him back. I had to admit he was really cute and he was doing a good job so far at behaving himself. Maybe there is something for us after all.

Then I saw him move his lips and he was pointing to the inside of the room. I guess they are testing now. First the white belts went and it sent me back to around midterms when I tested for yellow belt. I was so nervous I wasn't going to pass at all. Even though the forms are basic and we only had to do three versions of 3 step I thought I would do something to screw up. But I passed and now I am more confident now that I will pass this test.

When it was my turn it was only me and Adam testing for green. We both did our forms and we were surprisingly in sync. But to be honest we always have been. He has been my best friend since I moved into my school. I was originally in a public school but I felt so alone. No one wanted to talk to the deaf kid or if they did they didn't want to take the time to explain what was being said. Then my dad took me out and brought me here and I never want to go back. I made friends easily and became best friends with Sharon and Adam. I met Sharon in my homeroom when I was in middle school and we just clicked. But I met Adam in my gym class which was my next class. He always wanted to be my partner we always find time to hangout. I mean it lessened at bit once we went to high school but we do this club together now so we hangout more.

When all the forms were done it was time to spar. Me and Adam got partnered up. For our style of martial for testing punches aren't considered for grading. Only blocks and kicks. However he can be a smart ass and he just punches during practice. But now it's the test I know he won't. It's going to be a lot different. Before we started I notice Jason staring me down. I rolled my eyes.

The instructor gave the signal to start and I went for the first kick which was a front kick, which he blocked unfortunately. We both went at it trying to not actually hit each other. If an attack move makes contact with your opponent you automatically fail the test. We kept going at it until his one kick came in too high and I couldn't block it.