🔵 Chapter 21 🔵

"Are we there yet?" Halilintar grunted, puffing heavily as he half-heartedly pulled his belongings up the rough, lumpy ragged rocks, one by one.

"Almost!~" Taufan chirped, skipping on his way up to the top of the hill. The boy with the ruby eyes just groaned in response as he laboriously dragged his luggage with him.

"Why is this hill full of rugged stones? Aren't hills supposed to be all smooth and shaped like upside-down cones?" Halilintar mused, mounting the last step to the summit of the hill with all his might. "Why am I here? Just to suffer?"

Taufan only rolled his eyes playfully and shook his head. "Well, every hill is unique in its own way. I thought you're smarter than that, Hali!~" He taunted, giving his friend a smug look.

"I told you, I'm just an average student!"

"Well, at least your efforts paid off!~" The wind elemental sniggered, before throwing his hands to a direction to show the breathtaking view of the area they had successfully arrived at.

The scene revealed a peaceful, brilliant, orange sun preparing to set from afar, along with a warm-toned yellow-orange sky, which gave off a warm feeling. On the horizon, puffy, translucent clouds were also visible between the mountains. Birds were softly chirping as they graciously flew back to their homes. A riverbank was also spotted in the distance, with its streams calmly running in one direction.

"Woah..." Halilintar breathed, his jaw almost dropping as he stared at the stunning scenery.

"I know right~?" Taufan giddily chuckled, making his peeved friend look at him and earned a glare from him.

The lightning elemental sighed in exhaustion, dropped his luggage by his side, and sat down on the ground for a moment to recuperate. He took his time to take deep breaths while wiping away some beads of sweat that were trickling down his face. He took another glance around before focusing on the horizon and watched as the sun disappeared beneath the night sky.

With a worn-out but contented expression, his blue-masked companion joined him in sitting down and taking in the scenery. After their lengthy hour-long journey to the hill, he heaved a pleased sigh and remained quiet to allow his friend a moment to recharge. Once again, a gentle breeze caressed their skin, giving them the feeling as though they had been greeted and welcomed by the wind to reside temporarily for the day.

'Peaceful...' Halilintar thought, as he took off his black cap and exposed his brunette hair. He wished he could just stay here and have his long-awaited peace, but they are only staying for a short time and will be leaving as soon as they have rested.

Taufan turned to Halilintar, a beaming smile hidden beneath his mask, "Let's set up the camp here after we rest." The latter gave him a fleeting glance before giving him a small nod in return.

The blue-masked teen merely blinked at his friend's calmness, before smiling sympathetically as he acknowledges that his friend is savoring and appreciating this moment before they set off for tomorrow. He mumbled softly, "You've finally found peace, Hali," and comfortably turned to face the horizon once more.

<<>> <<>> <<>>

The starry night sky took over. The brilliant moon illuminated the deep shadows. The air was permeated by the chilly breeze. The hooting sound of owls can be distinguished from afar. The crackle of the man-made fire could be heard as it provided warmth for the boys. Even so, the calm atmosphere created by the evening skies made it possible for a restful night of slumber.

"OH NO!" Taufan exclaimed.

"What's wrong?" The alarmed lightning elemental immediately turned to look at the blue-masked boy, surprised by his sudden outburst.