15

Yn had been frantic when she woke up and found the ministry accommodation in Brazil empty. Matilda would always wake Yn up. That day Matilda was not in her room and in her woke she had left the remnants of a storm. Yn had immediately rushed over to her father's room. He had been staying down the hall. He was in the middle of heated conversation himself when Yn had burst in, clad in her pyjamas and hair braided back.

"Not now, Yn," he breathed out, red in the face.

"Dad... Somethings wrong."

Her father knew better than to ignore those words. He stared at her in horror than hurriedly dismissed everyone gathered in his room so that only the pair was left. The other ministry personnel walked out in a mixture of curiosity and annoyance.

"What is it Yn?" He had feared that they were coming for her. He already had the next eight plans ready and in order and ready to execute.

"Matilda..." Yn gushed as soon as she head the door snap shut.

Her father gulped. "Right, yes, well." He awkwardly cleared he throat turning around and pacing towards the window, noticeably creating distance between them. "About that. It was to be expected sooner or later. I wish she would have given us a little more notice."

Yn was surprised by his reaction. "You knew?" Then it occurred to her that her father and Matilda had had a screaming match which she had walked into only a few weeks ago. "She wouldn't just leave." Yn was putting the pieces together. "She wanted your help and you wouldn't give it to her."

"Yn..." he tried to calm down Yn, who by this point was hyperventilating.

"Don't touch me," she screamed. "What did she want? Why didn't you help her?" Yn accused.

Allister sat down holding his head in his hands. "It doesn't work like that Yn. We cannot draw attention to ourselves like that."

"What did she want?" Yn gritted through her teeth. When her father didn't answer, her eyes flamed. "I have other ways of finding out," she reminded him.

He knew that there was no point in hiding it from her. It would be futile anyway. "She wanted me to alter her blood status at the ministry."

Yn shook her head, "Why would she want you to do that?" I didn't make sense to her.

"Yn, you do not know the terrible things that are going on."

But she did know. Her father underestimated Yn's ability to scout information, especially when she stayed at ministries for hours on end waiting for her father.

"She's scared that she would be prejudiced against because she is muggle born?" Yn couldn't fathom why Matilda would be so worried. Yn and her father would never act like that towards her.

"There are people Yn, and they are growing in power, who will go to great lengths to eradicate what they believe goes against their values, and they do not value mixed blood. People like you and I may seem like we will be scot free, but we will not be. There will be expectations of us. Matilda knew that."

"We would never..." Yn gulped. "You would never..."

Her father shook his head. "No, I wouldn't but Matilda knew that even altering her blood status in the records would only buy her time. And not much at that."

"Well, we need to find her." Yn stubbornly stood her hand on her hips.

"No, we don't." She got her stubbornness from her father and he was executing it full force back at her.

"What do you mean? Of course, we do. Call someone. Anyone."

"I will not bring danger to you because of her." Her father turned to her and marched over to her at speed.