12

Draco was not heartless, although same might argue otherwise. He was just very good at putting on a façade. Even more so, now that he had mastered occlumency after the torturous summer under his Aunt Bellatrix's guidance. Somehow though Yn was getting under his skin. She wasn't doing anything. Just her presence was enough to unsettle him. On top of that the close proximity that he had with her when they were hidden in the shadows was excruciating. It was close to that of the Cruciatus Curse that he had suffered an innumerable number of times as part of his initiation.

Draco had to turn around 180 degrees to stop himself staring at her. He knew that there was something about her that the Dark Lord wanted. They wouldn't be enquiring about her otherwise. But what he had not anticipated was that it would make him want her. Did he want her? He wasn't sure. It's not that he wanted her. It was that he needed to know what she was thinking. She was proving extremely difficult to read.

He brought the joint of powdered dragon claw to his lips, inhaling sharply and then exhaling a cloud of smoke.

Marcus Flint sat at the foot of the tree. "What with the new girl," he smirked pointing at Yn. Everyone was curious about her then, Draco thought.

Draco dropped the joint on the ground and stubbed it with his foot, sniffing a little to mask his jealousy as indifference.

"She's not new," he huffed, refusing to look back at her.

Every neck in Draco's vicinity was straining to see Yn, and they were lingering on her exposed legs and bare arms. In Draco's mind he had not though the Yn was dressed provocatively at all. That was nothing in comparison to some people, but know he was all to aware of what she had been wearing when he laid eyes on her when she descended the stairs in the common room. It was because she was new. Fresh meat if you will. They did not get many transfer students or late entries. All the newbies were in the first year. This unusual situation brought about equally unusual reactions "You know what I mean. What's her story?" Marcus pestered, taking in every inch of Yn's body.

Oh, how he wished he knew, Draco thought. "I don't know."

"Come on, Malfoy. We've seen you with her. And don't you folks rub shoulders with her God parents. And with your father's connection in the ministry, he must know her father. Or are you trying to keep all the goods to yourself." Marcus' mouth twisted into a smirk. Half the quidditch team erupted into laughter.

Draco was repulsed at the vulgarity. Last year he was one of them and he probably would have entertained it. But most of these arrogant bastards didn't know how good they had it. They did not know real problems. He was also overcome with possessiveness which surprised him for she was not his nor did he have any intention for it to be that way so why did her care. He did not care when they talked about the other girls. "I don't know Flint why don't you go an ask your mum?"

Marcus was taken a back and jumped to his feet in rage, disturbing the soil and bark at his feet. Draco remained stationary, not moving an inch. He was not about to show weakness to a low life like Marcus Flint.

The other boys held Marcus back. The ruckus had drawn the attention of a small crowd, but it had not spread to the whole camp. "It's not worth it Marcus. You know who his father is." They whispered to him to tame him. Quite frankly, it was not just Draco's father that they feared anymore. Intuition is a powerful thing and they had all felt the shift this year. Now they had reason to be fearful of Draco too. Only they did not know why.

Marcus shook it off. "Okay Malfoy. Okay," he laughed. "That was good I'll give it to you."

"No bad blood Marcus," Draco concluded. "As for Avery. If you have the balls, go talk to her. But I will warn you that one's fiery. I for one will be keeping my distance." He allowed himself one more look at Yn but instead saw Pansy beelining towards him. "Shit," he muttered. "I'm going to get a drink," he announced, sneaking behind the trees out of view and emerging further down. Pansy didn't see him, and was looking around in utter confusion. Pansy was nice. Pansy was fun. Pansy was a pure blood. But she was also awfully clingy.