10

When Yn arrived at the entrance to Slytherin common room, Draco was stood leaning back against the wall. He had removed his robe and it was discarded in a pile at his feet. Only the ice of his eyes, the snow of his hair and the crisp collar of his shirt brought brightness to the dungeon.

Yn noticed him but went ahead to the bare bricks where the door would form. She had had enough interaction for one day. Anyhow, he was confusing her and then she remembered the words of Phineas Rosier. She needed to stay clear of some people. She had a feeling Draco was supposed to be one of those.

"So..." Draco kicked off the wall.

"So?" she repeated. She was stubborn but she couldn't well ignore him if he incited it.

"Are you still a Slytherin?" He crouched down and collected his robe.

She watched him closely has he stepped up beside her. "Why do you care and were you waiting for me?" She redirected, not wanting to think about the traumatising Sorting Hat.

"Don't flatter yourself Avery." Draco shook out his robe. "Someone had to make sure you weren't wandering around the castle all night." Once he was done folding his robe over his arm, he turned his head towards Yn. "So, are you going to make me ask again."

Yn sighed looking away from him. "Well, I'm here, aren't I?"

Draco scanned her up and down. From the top of her head to the tip of her shoes. She wasn't exactly short. Intact he would bet that she was the tallest slythrin girl in their year, if not across all the houses. But she was still several inches shorter than him. "Why are you here?"

"I beg your pardon" she spluttered, looking at him in disbelief.

"Why. Have. You. Come. Back. To. Hogwarts?" Draco purposefully punctuated each word.

Yn became sour. "It's really none of your business Malfoy."

She took a harsh step forward. But Draco caught her arm, keeping her stationary. "YN..."

Yn whipped around, yanking her arm back from his grip. "Never touch me without my permission," she seethed. "You may be used to throwing your weight about with all these lot, but it isn't going to work with me. There is something strange about you Malfoy. Keep it away from me. I have enough to deal with without your bipolar tendencies." She scuttled forward muttering the password under her breath, barely allowing the passage to open before she hurtled inside.

There were very few students, mainly the boys, that sat in clusters around the common row, lulling there before curfew. Yn passed them all silently, only the sound of the heel of her shoe could be heard.

Yn hopped up the stairs, her chest rising and falling rapidly after interaction with Draco. To be honest her blood was boiling. Over the edge of the banister, she could see Draco watching her. She wished he would just ignore her. Deep down she wanted to be invisible. That would make her year easy and eventful. Draco appeared to be slowly circling the sofas that were placed around the fire. He sank down into an armchair near the others, eyes pinned to her, then he allowed his elbow to rest on the arm rest, which supported his chin in his hand, and his eyes slid from her to the fire.

Inhaling a deep breath, she pushed forward into her room. She had been hoping to find the other girls settling into their beds, but she couldn't have been more wrong.

"There you are," Pansy gushed, bring her arms around Yn's shoulders.

"Here I am," Yn contributed with a squeak of horror.

The room that had been organised with five matching beds, with trunks neatly aligned at the foot and a few items beside each bed, was now in disarray. Clothes were strewn left and right. Millicent and Daphne were straining to look in the long mirror, one anchored down on the ground her face up close to the mirror as she slicked on her eye liner and the other stood back, twisting her hair around a curling wand.