xxxii. tech--paul gray (slipknot)

Start from the beginning

"You think Jim did this?"

"It's either that dumbass or another tech getting high while fixing it. It looks like someone wanted to make mods on it?" you estimate. "A lot of this is heat damaged, was this ever caught on the pyro stuff?"

"Maybe," Paul shrugs. "Whoever did those mods must have gotten pissed and just set it on fire."

You chuckle, continuing to work. "So what's going on with you? I feel like it's been a while since we last talked one on one."

Paul starts to tell you about all the shows and stuff, most of the details of which Jim's already shared with you, but you're not going to tell that to your companion. Anyone who dares to tell Paul Gray to shut up deserves to have a wrench shoved up their nose. 

For the next two hours, Paul talks with you and keeps you company until he announces that he's far too tired to even watch you. 

"Go to sleep then," you tell the bassist, ignoring the sleepy heaviness in your own eyes. 

"Only if you promise to," Paul smiles. 

"Fine," you nod. "I'm just gonna put this back together before, though."

That was a bit of a fib. You're only done working 45 minutes later, and then just decide to crash on the couch. 

Paul drapes a blanket over you when he finds you early the next morning.

...

It's been a few days since Paul stayed up with you, and in that time, you've actually made a good amount of progress on the amp. Maybe it's that the bassist has been your apprentice in that time.

"Yknow, someone keeps putting blankets on me when I'm napping," you tell Jim as he lurks behind you while working. "I think I have a stalker."

"I can tell you it's not me," Jim puts his hands up. "All I do is undo all the work you do on my amp."

"Asshole," you scoff. "Hand me a 00 screwdriver."

Jim obeys. 

"I've discerned that it's not Sid or Corey, because they both have tried to draw a dick on my face when I'm asleep."

"I might know who it is," the guitarist mutters as he gives you the screwdriver. 

"'Might'?" you raise an eyebrow.

"Paul Gray," Jim whispers before patting both of your shoulders and leaving you alone. 

You look around you, wondering if Paul is in your vicinity and could have heard Jim, but you're just alone. 

Paul's pov

"Why don't you just ask her out, man?" Jim asks as he saunters into the living room area.

"Oh come off it," I huff.

"Who are we asking out?" Corey perks up, poking his head out from his bunk. 

"Jim's tech. Paul's got the hots for her," Mick stalks through the hall with a beer in his hand, stopping to lean against Corey's bunk. The singer reaches over to grab Mick's beer, earning a swift smack on his hand. 

"Aw, that's actually really sweet," Corey smiles at me. "I think you should go for it, man."

Easy for him to say. People throw themselves at Corey when they see him without his mask. For lack of a better word, I'm uglier than him. 

When the night comes, I'm more nervous to see Y/n. My bandmates do not hesitate to point out when I make flirting attempts. 

Luckily, Y/n is decently oblivious, or is a good actor, so she never calls me out for it or anything. 

"Paul, I didn't think you'd come tonight," the tech looks up at me from her place on the floor. "Come, sit."

I obey the gentle command, taking my place against the wall. 

"I barely saw you today," the engineer puts a piece of soldering wire in between her teeth as she holds a circuit in place in the amp. 

"Yeah, I had to run errands, went to a record store, went on a date," I shrug.

Y/n's eyebrow quirks up with a quick side eye in my direction before she pulls the wire from her teeth. "How'd that go?" 

"Eh, she wasn't my type. Not a fan of people who wear band shirts of bands they don't know," I make up something, watching as Y/n glances down at her Slipknot shirt.

"Okay, I promise I know Slipknot," she jokes. 

"I'd hope so," I laugh. "I'm not a figment of your imagination."

"What band shirt was she wearing?"

"Slayer. When I asked her what her favorite album was, she said Master of Puppets."

"Paul, you need to get better standards," Y/n admonishes. 

I swallow. "I'd not worry about that. I'm just too much of a coward to ask out who I'm actually into."

"The plot thickens," the end of Y/n lips curl into a curious smile.

Oh, shit. That was cute. 

"It's you."

"Hm?" the tech's back straightens as she looks directly at me, a slight pink tint on her face. "Really?"

"Yes," I look away. 

"That's quite a relief. I've wanted to ask you out since I found out you're the one that's been putting blankets on me when I'm napping," Y/n puts her tools down. "Do you want to go on a date with me?"

"I'd love to," I blush a bit.

...

whoof this is kind of a long one isnt it? i hope you enjoyed it :)

thank you for reading and for everyone who's stuck with this book this long!