n a r r a t i v e

warning: skeletal draft. not edited

you can skip this.

____________________________

It's not Friday yet. In fact, it's only the start of the week, so it's surprising to see him sitting at one of the tables near the counter a full week after their truce.

Instinctively, Milly checks her watch.

It's only five past six. The rest of the staff won't be arriving until much later. It's a slow day for business, and they won't be open until seven. What's he doing here?

She walks closer, eyeing the mug of draft beer he's holding.

He hasn't noticed her yet. His forehead is creased into a knot as he stares at his drink, lost in his thoughts, as if he's in the middle of an internal war against himself.

Milly stops a few steps away from him, and his eyes automatically flick up to her face. She secures the strap of her birkin around her shoulder and tilts her head.

"Aga n'yan, ah," she comments, pointing at the beer.

"Gusto mo?"

The question catches her by surprise and her brow arches. "Inaaya mo 'ko?"

He shrugs as an answer. Before she can even respond, he's already up on his feet, padding over to the bar without a noise. He grabs a bottle of Vodka from one of the displays with one hand, and a cocktail glass with the other.

To say that she's bewildered and intrigued at his sudden offer is an understatement.

Milly drops her bag to the seat beside her and pulls a chair. She sits, watching him quietly as he moves around the counter and gets busy preparing the cocktail drink for her.

Just a few days ago, they were at each other's throats, and she was so sure they would never get along ever. They're just way too different. Yet here he is, preparing one of her favorite cocktails for her. A martini, no less.

She's impressed.

Kai returns to the table moments later and places the delicate cherry-colored drink in front of her.

"You remember," she says, her eyes following his movement as he sits down across from her.

"I'm good at that."

"What, remembering?"

"No, not forgetting."

She almost laughs at the irony. That's something they have in common then.

Silence passes over them. She takes the moment to taste the drink he made. The balanced taste of raspberry and vodka explodes on her tongue, and she hides a satisfied smile. First time she finds out he can mix drinks too.

Her attention shifts to his own drink. "Problem?"

He doesn't answer. There's another stretch of silence before he lifts his gaze to meet hers — and then he brings it back down.

"Why didn't you defend yourself against me?"

She half smiles, half laughs. "You're only asking now? Nagkausap na kayo ni Seth?" He nods, so she continues, "When?"

"No'ng sinabi mo."

"Ikaw kasi, e. Judgmental ka kagad," she can't help but tease.

Kairos sighs. She holds back the grin forming on her face.

"Makikinig ka ba if I tried to tell you?" she says. "'Di naman, right? That's why. It's pointless and I don't like wasting my energy on pointless things."