30 || LIE

Five.

That's how many times Otis had ignored Dr Halstead's calls over the past two days. Five times. And each time Will had left him a voicemail telling him that he really needed to get his bloods done. But every single time the message came through, Otis just deleted it and carried on with his day.

The sixth, and final, voicemail came through the morning of their next shift, which like normal he simply deleted. This time without even listening to it. He didn't want to get his bloods taken so he sure as hell didn't want to listen to Will tell him he needed to. Again.

Surely Will would have to give up eventually, right? It would get a little tiresome continually phoning someone about something they had no intention of doing, so Otis just hoped, or prayed rather, that Will would get fed up and leave him alone.

"Otis, let's go already! We're gonna be late!" Cruz called up the stairs, he and Riley waiting in the living room for Otis, the three of them on the brink of being late for work.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming." Otis rushed out as he came barrelling down the stairs, his bag thudding against his leg as he did.

"Alright, you three be good." Riley warned towards her pets, who lay sprawled out on the couch after devouring their breakfast, and they'd probably remain there until Riley's neighbour called in to check on them around lunchtime.

"Wolf, let's go." Cruz sighed out, practically ushering the couple out of the house before Riley began the baby talk, as he called it, towards the animals.

The heavy front door closed with a bang behind them, Riley locking it and putting in the code for the outside security system before the three of the headed off to work. And they barely arrived with five minutes to spare.

It was no surprise to those amongst fifty one to see JJ already seated next to Pouch as they entered the firehouse. Severide had told them all about the case JJ's detective mother was working on so it wasn't at all surprising that she'd left JJ with them, as it really was the safest place for him.

"Morning, Chief." Riley said cheerfully as she approached the coffee machine, Chief Boden next to it as he plated up his breakfast.

"Ah, morning Wolf." He replied, adding some bacon to his plate as Riley filled up her mug. "The academy, how's that's going for you?"

"It's going really good, actually." Riley said with a nod of her head, taking a sip of her hot coffee before speaking again. "Got some real up and comers in my class."

"I don't doubt it." Boden said with a chuckle as he lifted his plate and headed towards the table, Riley following behind as she took a seat next to Otis. "Any plans to stay on after your class had graduated?"

"I hadn't really thought about it but if I'm asked, I don't see why not." Riley shrugged, taking another sip of coffee before stealing a piece of waffle from Otis' place, making him protest rather loudly.

"Hey!"

"That's good." Boden said, ignoring Otis' childlike behaviour. "It brings me great comfort knowing the future of the CFD is in good hands."

"Thieving hands is more like it." Otis mumbled, sulking over Riley taking his last piece of waffle.

"How are things going with you two anyway?" Boden asked curiously towards the couple, he never usually got involved in his firefighters personal lives but when it came to Riley and Otis, he was intrigued. Especially given how long it had taken them to actually confess their feelings to each other.

"Uh, really great actually." Riley replied, finding it a little strange that he'd asked that.

"Although if she steals anymore of my breakfast, that answer may change." Otis muttered to himself, making Boden chuckle a little and Riley nudge his arm.