31 || RESULTS

The easy part of his situation was over for Otis. He'd gotten his bloods drawn straight after shift and Dr Halstead would call him later with the results. But now came the hard part. The part that now worried him more than the stupid blood test ever did. And that was begging Riley for her forgiveness.

Otis had felt nauseous from the minute he found out that Riley had left shift yesterday, and the whole way to and from the hospital he'd just gripped the steering wheel of the car so tight his knuckles turned white. He didn't know what to expect when he came home, not one bit.

But he was here now, standing outside the front door like a nervous wreck with a bunch of cherry blossoms in his hand, which he'd had to go to several florists in search of. He knew the flowers alone wouldn't earn Riley's forgiveness but he figured it would be a nice touch.

The house was quiet when Otis finally stepped inside, and he knew that Cruz would have gone to bed when he got in, where he'd stay until close to noon. And he figured Riley was probably still in bed too given that it was pretty early. So having taken his shoes off, leaving them at the front door, he headed nervously upstairs, fearing whatever may be waiting for him.

Were his bags packed and sitting by the door? Were Riley's? Was she even in their room or had she not come home? Had something happened to her after she left shift? A thousand different scenarios played in Otis' mind until he took hold of the door handle, took a deep breath and opened it.

All the thoughts Otis had had appeared to vanish when their bedroom remained as it had when he'd left for work yesterday. There were no bags packed and Riley was laying in bed, on the side closest to the door with her back to Otis.

The sight of Riley curled up in bed was enough to send a flutter through his stomach, a mix between a happy one and a nervous one. He knew she was awake, he could see her reflection in the mirror on the other side of the room, and he also knew that she could see him, so there was no point in waiting any longer.

Without saying anything, Otis closed the bedroom door gently then slowly made his way towards the bed, where he took a second before he sat down on the edge. He could feel Riley's legs pressed up against his back and when she didn't move them away from him, it gave him hope.

"I, uh..." Otis began, clearing his throat before he spoke again. "I got my blood drawn."

"You did?" Riley whispered, propping herself up on her elbow to turn and look at him. She needed to look into his eyes, to make sure he wasn't lying to her again.

"I did." Otis nodded, turning his body more towards her. "Even got the needle mark to prove it." He held out his arm, and there it was, the tiny needle mark in the middle of his inner elbow.

"And?"

"And, Dr Halstead said he'll call with the results." Otis replied, watching as Riley repositioned herself to sit up properly, crossing her legs beneath her.

"Good." She said softly, looking down at her hands as she fiddled with her fingers. She believed him this time, the presence of the needle mark helped as she thought it would be a whole new low if he'd faked that.

"I'm really sorry, Riley." Otis said gently, setting the flowers aside so he could take hold of both of her hands, making her look up at him.

"I don't like being lied to." Riley half-whispered, the saddened look in her eyes almost breaking his heart.

"I know, and I'm sorry that I did. I just..." Otis sighed out, his eyes flicking down to their joined hands before back up at her. "I was afraid... of what the results might say and I let that fear cloud my judgement. But you were right, whatever this is... It doesn't just affect me and I shouldn't have lied to you... I'm so sorry if I hurt you, that was never my intention. You are, without a doubt, the best thing that's ever happened to me and I feel like an idiot for messing it up."