•chapter 8•

Chapter 8

Third person POV

*flash back, 10 years ago*

"This is for you, my lovely princess." A low pubescent voice told the little princess.

Two deep dark brown eyes looked down at the little six year-old princess. A genuine smile struck his sharp facial features as he handed the little princess his birthday gift. Two beautiful blue eyes, inherited from their mother, stared at him with surprise.

He had saved enough money to buy her a present from a peddler that came in to town days ago. It took him days and even though he was a prince and had all the right to the royal fortune, he was determinant to work for his sisters present and earn his money respectfully.

Two little hands took a book that was maybe a little too big. It was a big book with a dark navy cover. It wasn't anything special or something, but he bought it for a reason. A reason that still remains a secret till this day.

She studied the cover intently and looked back up at her older brother. A bright and happy smile appeared on her pale white face. Her big heart was filled with joy and she knew that this was the best present she had ever gotten.

"But I can't read yet, so you have to read it for me." the little girl smirked, cheeky.

"Princesses don't lie, I know you've reading my literature books." The prince, her older brother, chuckled.

"You know why I gave you this book, love?" the prince questioned the little princess. She shook her head, confused.

"This book will offer you an escape from harsh reality when I'm not here. When you're older I'm not going to be able to play with you anymore, because I'll be traveling a lot. " the prince explained.

"But, where are you going? You're not king yet." the little girl asked, lips trembling a bit. The prince saw that his little sisters eyes were tear edged and the feeling of regret and compassion immediately struck him. She knew exactly what he was trying to say.

"I'm the heir of our kingdom and I need to keep up the realm by visiting other kingdoms, you understand?" He replied. "It's not my favorite thing to do, but it has to be done."

A single tear slipped down her rosy cheek as she knew things were changing. It was very rarely for the prince to see his little sister cry. She never cried a lot, let alone in front of someone.

She didn't wanted things to change. She wanted to play 'knights and dragons' and play chess in the royal garden with her brother, but if he was gone, her life was going change as well. She would begin her lessons as a high class princess. They would make her wear big gowns and tiaras and act ever so gracefully. All the things other girls dream about.

They expected her to grow up. A thing the girl awfully despised.

The boy noticed the girls sudden discomfort.

"Don't worry my princess, I'm not leaving yet. If I'm gone and you miss me, the only thing you need to do is look up to the moon and say the words written on the very first page." The prince smiled. He bent down to one knee and gripped her little shoulders with his large hands.

"But I don't want you to go." She silently sobbed. The prince softly sighed and wiped away her tears

of hurt with his gentle hands. Oh, how he hated to see his sister like this.

"I'm sorry love, it's my duty just as the realm expects you to be a kind loving princess for the people." The prince comforted.

"But, but I don't want to be a princess." She pouted, while clutching on to the book tightly.