Chapter XLI

The further April progressed, Daphne started having more pains in her stomach. It worried her greatly so she and Harry went to Madam Pomfry in concern.

The mediwitch guided them toward what she now referred to as the 'Potter Bed' and explained that the pains were normal. She explained to them that the pains would start late into the pregnancy and that it meant that the baby would come a bit sooner than thought.

She had made sure to assure the couple that most pregnancies evolve into labor around the estimated due date, give or take anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks. It was ultimately up to the babe when they came unless an emergency took place that would require a forced birth. In such situations, the infants were placed under specialized spells that required the help of elf magic. The spells ensured that the babe would be given the best chance of fully developing within a set amount of time.

She went on to explain that muggles, without the help of magic, had developed technology that worked the same way for the same purpose. They also went through the same pains that Daphne was experiencing.

Harry let out a sigh, "So it's something all women deal with while carrying?"

"Yes and no," Madam Pomfry shook her head slightly. "In some ancient cultures, there are legends and myths about males that were able to bare a child. It's a magical gene that used to be prevalent in the early ages of humans before mostly dying out in most parts of the world. I know that there is a tribe deep within South America, that has hidden itself for nearly four thousand years, that is compromised of only men. The 'Carrier' gene is a strong part of their people."

The couple thought that was a very strange thing but were not about to question the tribe or why Magic gave them such a gene.

============================

April fed into May, bringing with it more studying sessions throughout the school.

Daphne was now extremely rounded and seemed to always have pain somewhere. Harry did what he could by doting on her and nightly soaks followed by massages. It was a great help with how many stairs were inside the castle.

They were located within the library, gathered around a round table. They were all studying for some subject or another. Daphne has her legs pulled onto Harry's lap as he used one hand to massage her calf gently.

She was reading through Potions' essays while he was doing some grading for Rosie. She was currently drilling the fifth and seventh years dead with Auror Moody.

The only sound within the group was the small scratching of quills, the muttering under their breath as some of them read, and the gentle turning of pages. As her eye twitched painfully, Flora was the one who broke the relative silence with a small, "Ow."

Her girlfriends, sister, and boyfriend all looked at her quickly. She wasn't often one to say such a thing while they studied.

"I'm fine, I was just reading too hard," She smiled at them lightly.

Astoria nodded lightly, "Why don't we all take a break for a few minutes?"

The group agreed to a break and some rubbed their eyes or stretched.

"So," Ginny said. "When are you due, Daphne?"

Daphne, not looking away from the essays, smiled lightly as her hand fell to her stomach. "Anytime now. She might come tonight or maybe during the next month, it's up to her," She said lightly.

Blaise chuckled, "Alright, final call. What are the bets that she looks like which parent?"

"A galleon says she'll look like Daphne," Seamus said.