I forced my limbs to move as the guards gently pushed me towards the base of the dais and then fanned out to each side of the room. I wasn't entirely sure if I was breathing when I came to a stop a few metres away from the dais, unable to ignore Hades' power play of positioning Persephone behind him. Something as small as that told me enough that I needed to know about him; he was the only person in this room with any authority or control. And he wanted me to know it.

My eyes snagged on the black shadows around Hades, which slithered like snakes around his body and faded into oblivion. Their swirling depths sung and beckoned me closer, but I dug my heels into the ground and fisted my hands, forcing myself to stare into his eyes.

A small smirk lit Hades' face. Up this close, I could see the distinctive gleam of evil in his tar black irises. I fought the urge to run and stood taller, even letting my sweaty palms fall to my sides.

Persephone fidgeted in her seat, as if she had been about to stand up but restrained herself. I looked at her only long enough to see the regret glazed across her face.

A quiet filled the room. Someone cleared their throat. Realisation hit me, making my eyes widen, and I dropped into a bow, having almost forgotten Erica's first rule. I took a deep breath to gather myself before standing upright.

Introduce yourself when spoken to, Erica had warned. But that was difficult to do when no one was speaking. Natural instinct had words spilling to the edge of my tongue.

I held my breath, waiting for Hades to make the first move. He merely trailed his fingers along the side of the gilded wood of his throne, lined with red velvet, a bored expression on his face.

But then, his eyes flashed.

The air between us turned sharp and cold.

And the predator pounced.

The shadows around Hades flew forwards and encircled me. Instinctively, I went to step backwards and found myself stepping into the shadow. Death itself seemed to brush my legs, leaking any warmth from my body. Goosebumps formed. I slammed my eyes shut as they twisted their path upwards, wrapping around my arms and chest, then neck. This is just a test, I thought. My heart beat rapidly in my chest, and I focused on that feeling instead of the cold brushing a path across my body.

Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump.

One breath in. One breath out.

Thump thump.

The shadows slowed in their hunt. I opened my eyes to find them turning into a slightly less ominous caress and then slinking their way back to their owner.

Slow claps filled the room.

"Impressive, young one," Hades announced, finishing his applause. "I wasn't expecting you to have so much control over your fear."

He flashed an arrogant smile, and I narrowed my eyes at him. His façade was a stark difference from the vulnerability I'd seen in his expression when he'd seen Persephone upon his return. It was as if he wanted to punish me for witnessing him in a private moment.

"Although I shouldn't be too surprised," he drawled, "considering you've mastered your fear enough over the past couple of weeks to evade my capture."

A pointed accusation.

"You have caused a lot of disruption to my Court, Serena Jennings," he finished. "I plan on putting an end to that."

The Underworld Crown (Series)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें