Twenty-Six

Olivia

The morning was exhausting, so my youngest four took a nap while I tried to relax between contractions. Kathleen kept to herself for a while before coming downstairs when she heard me swear. It was a little after two, and I had been able to keep my contractions under wraps, but they were getting stronger.

"Are you okay?" Kathleen questioned, her eyes scanning my flushed face. I forced a smile and nodded.

"Yup, I'm perfectly fine," I lied as I slowly released my grip on the armrest of the sofa.

"Are you lying to me?" She replied, as she narrowed her eyes at me. I took a slow breath before nodding.

"Yeah, I'm lying. Uh, can you try to call your father?"

"Mom-"

"I'm in labor, Katie. Things are moving kinda fast, but he won't answer my calls. I don't want to go through this alone, but that might be my only option."

"Okay, I'll call Dad and you go... uh, grab a bag? I don't know what you are supposed to do!" Kathleen exclaimed. I stood slowly before reaching out and pulling her close. I held my daughter close as her tears soaked into my shirt.

"Everything will be okay, Kathleen. Soon your little brother will be here, and hopefully things will get better."

"I'm so scared that something will happen," Kathleen whispered. I kissed the top of her head before giving her a tight squeeze.

"Everything will be okay, pumpkin. Now, please go call your father. I'll go get that bag you were talking about," I teased. My daughter leaned back and looked at me before nodding slowly.

///

Elliot wouldn't answer Kathleen's call, so I decided that I'd have to go to the precinct and drag him to the hospital. Even if it was against his will.

"Liv? What are you doing here?" Fin asked the moment I waddled into the squadroom. I took a slow breath before speaking.

"I have been calling Elliot for hours, and he has not picked up his phone. Is he in there? Or did he not even come to work today?" I questioned. 

"He's been in his office all day, never coming out for anything. So-"

"I'm sorry that I'm being short, but I got to get him and head to the hospital."

"Last time you had to head to the-" Fin started, but I stopped him as tears burned my eyes.

"I lost a child last time, Fin. Today we are having another..." I mumbled before walking to Elliot's office. 

I didn't even bother to knock before swinging it open. Elliot turned around quickly, anger masking his expression. I expected it to fade when he saw me, but he just looked more pissed off.

"What do you want?" He snapped.

"You know what, never mind," I huffed.

"So you came here to waste-"

"When your wife and daughter call you over twenty times each, answer your fucking phone! I get that today is hard for you, but that doesn't give you a right to ignore me!" I yelled.

"I can do what I want, Olivia!"

"Then I guess you get to decide if you'll be there when our son is born, or sitting here being a bitter asshole!" 

Elliot's jaw dropped as he looked me over.

"W-what?"

"I'm in labor, Elliot. My contractions are getting pretty close together, so I'm heading to the hospital. So either you can join me, or come up tomorrow with the kids to meet your last child. Maybe stop by our attorney's office along the way and file for legal separation, since we aren't living like a married couple anymore."