Thirteen

Maureen

A few weeks after the boys came home, they were still living with my grandmother. Actually, six weeks since they got home, they were still living with her. They refused to see my parents and barely wanted to be with Nana, but my father refused to let them stay with Serena, even if that is who they wanted to be with right now.

"Do you think that by next week they will want to come home? It's almost summer vacation," Kathleen sighed, as we walked up the path to Nana's house. I glanced at her before shrugging.

"I really doubt it, Katie. They hate Mama and Dad, and there is nothing we can do about it," I replied. My sister sighed as she stopped in her tracks. I turned to look at her as she finished sending a text.

"It would be nice if we could all be a family again."

"I know, Kathleen. I wish Mama would move back home and that Dad wasn't such a jerk sometimes, but it happens. Hopefully, they won't get a divorce and before..." I trailed off because I wasn't sure if my parents had told the rest of the kids that my mother was pregnant. I didn't want to make things more complicated, even if I'm not sure they could get more complicated than they are.

"Before what?" Kathleen asked.

"Nothing... C'mon, we need to see the boys. See if we can convince them to come home."

///

My brothers were focused on their schoolwork while we were there. To ensure they could stay with their classmates, they had to finish all the work they missed while missing and during the six weeks they had been living with Nana. Jasper and Tobias wouldn't speak to us, and when we gave them more of their toys from home, they didn't even thank us.

"Have you spoken to your mother?" Nana asked, as she made us dinner. I stood at the counter, a knife in my hand as I cut the carrots for the salad.

"She calls and texts us, but we haven't seen her in a while. She's still suspended, and Dad said if she wants to act like a child, then she doesn't need to be at home with us," I sighed.

"I'll talk to your father-"

"Nana, don't even bother. Until the boys are coming home, I don't think Mama will come home," Kathleen sighed. 

My sister turned and left the room, and the moment I heard her speak to our brothers, I knew things may get messy. So I sat the knife down and joined them quickly.

"Why won't you two talk to us?" Kathleen demanded, as she knelt down in front of the coffee table. They kept their heads down and acted as if they didn't even hear her.

"Katie, just leave them alone. They hate us all, so they won't speak," I sighed.

"I wonder if they care Mama doesn't come home anymore. That she and Daddy don't talk because they hate each other and themselves for these two running away?!" Kathleen huffed. I shook my head and ran a hand over my face.

"Please go help Nana," I breathed.

"Mo-"

"Go."

My sister left the room, and I took her spot on the floor. My brothers had stopped working on their homework and were now just looking at the pages in front of them.

"I know you two are angry and that things are confusing for you, just like they are for us... but you can't be angry at them forever. They have tried their hardest to be the best parents to us all, and it isn't their fault that you two fought with Jacob. Lilly cries because she is sad and scared, so she isn't getting in trouble for that. Jacob got in trouble for fighting with you two, just like you two got in trouble for fighting with him. Kathleen and I no longer fight with each other since we realize that it's better to work together than work apart..." I trailed off slowly.

I watched as my brothers continued to stay still, their little chests moving as they breathed.

"Katie and I are going to eat dinner here tonight and then go home. If you'd like, I can totally bring you two home. Jacob has been working on your Minecraft world and it looks really cool. Lilly and I have been working on the fort in the backyard. I bought some really cool fabric and have been making cushions for the chairs, and she drew big dinosaurs on those old white curtains Mama gave you to use in the fort," I smiled, yet they stayed quiet. 

I hoped everything would set in, so then we could go home together. So maybe my parents would talk again and home would feel like home again. 

///

After dinner and helping to clean up, Kathleen and I walked outside together to leave. I had prayed that the boys would have spoken more before we left, but they barely said more than small amens after Nana blessed the food.

"So much for a heart-to-heart with those little brats," Kathleen grumbled, as I unlocked my car.

"Don't call them brats, Katie."

"They are ruining our family, Mo! They only care about themselves!" She huffed. 

I opened the driver's side door and went to slip in, but stopped when Nana opened the front door and called my name.

"Mo! Wait!"

"Why?" I called back.

"The boys are packing their bags. They want to come home... tonight. So can you wait?" She asked. Tears welled in my eyes as I let out a slow breath.

"Yeah, Nana. Of course we can wait," I smiled.