Fourteen

Elliot

"Your sisters were supposed to be home by now," I sighed, as I kept looking out the front window of my house. 

"Maybe Nana needed more help tonight," Lilly replied, even though her voice was full of worry. Ever since my wife moved out, Lilly had been more anxious than ever. She tried to pretend that she wasn't anxious, but I could hear her crying herself to sleep at night, so I knew better.

"Maybe, Lils. Um, why don't you two get ready for bed? I'll be up soon to tuck you in," I spoke, before shutting the curtains and walking towards the kitchen. Once in the kitchen, I dialed Kathleen's number. After a few rings, my daughter answered her phone.

"What's up, Dad?" Kathleen asked.

"Where are you and Mo? You were supposed to be home an hour ago-"

"We are pulling in right now. I'm sorry we didn't call. It's just that Toby and Jasper decided they wanted to come home. So we had to wait for them to pack up," my daughter replied. My jaw dropped as I heard Maureen honk the horn.

"I'll be right out," I spoke, before hanging up. I ran out the front door and stopped when I saw my little boys standing there. I hadn't seen them in six weeks, so seeing them there made me want to cry. 

Things had been so complicated, and now I know that things have to be fixed in order to make this all work.

"Jas-"

"Mama isn't here, right?" Jasper asked. I swallowed hard and shook my head.

"No, Mama isn't here. She is still living with Serena," I replied. My son didn't respond. Instead, he quietly walked into the house and to where his big brother and sister were.

///

I got my kids to bed before asking Maureen to just keep an ear out for them. I didn't know if my sons wanted their mother here or not, so I decided to just take the next step. Upon arrival at Serena's apartment building, I buzzed up. It was late, and it took her a few minutes to respond.

"Hello? Who's there?" Serena asked, her voice full of sleep.

"It's Elliot. I'm here to see Olivia," I replied. There was a few moments of silence before Serena spoke again.

"Olivia is sleeping, Elliot. She's had a rough several weeks, and we are just getting her back to sleeping. So please-"

"She's my wife, Serena! All I wanted to do was tell her that the twins came home tonight. If she can stop throwing a fit-"

"I'm not throwing a fit, Elliot Stabler. If you are just going to be a complete asshole to me, then I don't want to go home to you. The kids are better off without me, and you are too," Olivia whimpered into the box. 

I stepped back and swallowed hard before looking up. I could see Serena standing in the window, and we locked eyes. I walked back to the box before pressing my finger against the buzz button again. 

"Just leave, Elliot," Olivia whimpered. I heard her sniffle, and it broke my heart. I didn't help in this matter at all, and now she was probably never coming home.

"The boys want you, Liv. Just drop by tomorrow morning and see them. Maybe stay until the kids get home because I think it's time to tell them about your pregnancy. Okay?" I asked, but I never got a response.

///

Olivia

I stood outside of my house and watched as my kids walked past the windows and got ready to head to school. Jasper and Tobias, as far as I know, weren't going back to school until the beginning of next term. So if I wanted to see them, I'd have to go inside. 

The front door opened suddenly, and I jumped when I spotted my eldest walk out. She had to do a double take,  before running down the walkway and to where I stood on the sidewalk.

"Mama! What are you doing here?" Maureen asked.

"Your father came to Serena's last night and told me that the boys came home... he says they wanted to see me, but I doubt it," I breathed. Maureen glanced back at the house, before back at me.

"They really have said little since they got home. Jasper asked about you last night, but it didn't go past that," Maureen admitted. I nodded slowly, before hearing the voices of Kathleen, Lilly, and Jacob as they walked out the front door.

"Are you taking them to school today?"

"Yeah, I am... Do you want to drop them off?" She whispered. I shook my head as tears burned my eyes.

"I've really fucked up, Mo. I've ruined everything, and to make matters worse... you guys are all getting another sibling that I'm pretty sure no one wanted," I choked out. Maureen stepped forward and hugged me tightly. I cried into my daughter's shoulder as the others approached us.

"Mama?" Kathleen asked, and my crying grew harder. Maureen held me even closer as she caressed my hair and shushed me.

"It's okay," she whispered.

"It really doesn't feel okay," I whimpered, as I hesitantly stepped away from my daughter. I wiped the tears from my cheeks and moved to face my children.

"Hey loves."

"Mama!" Lilly cried, before tossing herself at me. I squatted down to her height and hugged her tightly before pulling Jacob into the hug.

As I embraced my children, Kathleen spoke to Maureen.

"Is she back for good?"

"I don't know, Katie. She is still pretty upset... and she and Dad have something very important to tell everyone."

"Do you know what it is?" Kathleen mused. I parted from Lilly and Jacob before standing up slowly. I tugged on the hem of my t-shirt as I saw Elliot standing on the front porch. If he wasn't coming down here, I'd just tell the kids myself.

"I'm sixteen weeks pregnant... surprise."