They had changed from a mountain to a valley overnight...

It was suspicious, to say the least!

Kim So Joon had never believed the 'absurd' rumours, but now that he knew inhuman beings existed...

"He is an ancient being from a far off land." It was the Grand Crow who spoke, her voice light and gentle. "He's called Shin Ra, but we call him the 'Death Owl', because he requires the bloodshed of many to achieve his goal, hence the Blood Moon."

"Shin Ra has made a deal with Lee Hwi Joon." Choi Yoon continued. "He lends Lee Hwi Joon his power, and in exchange he gets the lives of those who die during the blood moon. He also gets Lee Hwi Joon's first heir."

"The death of the Crown Prince!" Kim So Joon realized.

"Exactly." Choi Yoon nodded. "But Shin Ra is not satisfied, because Lee Hwi Joon never considered the late Crown Prince his true heir.

"Shin Ra now knows Lee Hwi Joon has always loved Kim Sae Yeon, so he has set his sights on Sae Yeon's future son."

"Wh- What rubbish?!" Kim So Joon was suddenly filled with an unspeakable rage.

Even if Sae Yeon had survived the Palace, she would have lost her child?!

"What has my Yeon-ah done to attract something like this??!"

"Simply put, I think you raised her too well." The Grand Crow said. "Lee Hwi Joon fell in love with your daughter because after the suffering he had gone through, he witnessed a twelve-year-old Sae Yeon boldly defend a slave girl who was about to be punished without proof.

"He tied it to how his family had been accused without proof, and he latched unto the pure and righteous Sae Yeon."

Kim So Joon sighed. "I didn't even know why Jeonha kept watching my Yeon-ah. I tried to hide her from him, but I failed..."

"I must apologize for this..." The Grand Crow slightly bowed her head. "My son 'accidentally' returned Sae Yeon to the Capital."

"So that's how she got back so quickly!" Kim So Joon glared at Choi Yoon, who coughed into his hand.

Se Yeon noticed this discussion wasn't going so well, and she squeezed her father's hand.

"Father, I actually saw Shin Ra..." Sae Yeon shook her head, suddenly looking afraid. "On the night I disappeared, the Queen Dowager tried to poison me!"

Choi Yoon resisted the urge to shake his head. 'She's doing it again!'

Sae Yeon continued. "Fortunately, Choi Yoon arrived in time to save me, and then Shin Ra attacked us." She shook her head pitifully. "He didn't let us leave! In the end, Choi Yoon was forced to engage me, so Shin Ra would leave me alone..."

That was apparently all Kim So Joon needed to hear.

So Choi Yoon had saved his daughter, and he seemed to be her only hope...

Before long, he was thanking Choi Yoon, patting him on his back and welcoming him to the family!

The Grand Crow smiled at Sae Yeon knowingly, before turning his attention back to the discussion at hand...

.
.

Lee Hwi Joon drank the full bowl of wine in one swig.

'I still can't understand it!' He thought.

Guilt, grief and disbelieve swirled within him, chasing sleep further than it had ever been.

He thought back to the scene where Kim Sae Yeon and Im Do Young were found...