16. The Wedding Guests 2

.

A little while later, Sae Yeon could hear laughter coming from a room she had never entered.

She had only seen the gardens, and the chamber her father slept in, so there were still many parts of the Sky Palace she hadn't seen.

She glanced down at herself, feeling a little nervous, but one look at Do Young and Yong Yi's hand work calmed her nerves.

Yong Yi had outdone herself!

The clothes she had chosen for Sae Yeon were essentially styled like her own clothes, but quite different.

The collar and sleeve ends were not the stiff white affair she was used to. Rather, they matched the rest of the silk, flower patterned top.

A plain red ribbon served as a narrow sash around her middle.

The plain blue skirts were wide and flowed down, and it had what seemed like actual flowers artfully creeping down and widening from the belt to the hem.

Do Young and Yong Yi had fought over her hair again, but they had managed to work together.

Yong Yi had insisted on fixing at least two flowers to one side of her hair, while Do Young had refused to weave her hair, but had brushed it to perfection, down her back.

"After what I've seen from Lord Yoon and that insolent Robin, I won't let you be intimidated by hair!" Do Young had stated with finality, as she furiously brushed Sae Yeon's hair!

Now, Sae Yeon walked up to the guards by the door.

"Lord Yoon!" A servant announced as she approached. "Lady Kim Sae Yeon has arrived!"

There was instant silence on the other side of the door, promptly replaced by surprised muttering, and Sae Yeon had a feeling they never really expected her to come.

She mentally cursed her perfect etiquette! 'I could have just stayed in my room!'

"Let her in!" Choi Yoon's reply came through the door, and two servants slid the large doors opened.

She stood there at first, all her nervousness returning.

But she reminded herself that she didn't really care about anybody in the large chamber, so she took a deep breath and stepped inside.

The guests were not much, certainly not more than thirty, as she mentally subtracted those she could pinpoint as servants or entertainers.

Still, it was uncomfortable having this many eyes on her, and she could hear them muttering!

"Wow! Such a face!"

"No wonder a Human could catch Choi Yoon!"

"I was surprised when I heard!"

Sae Yeon quickly sought out Choi Yoon, fixed her eyes somewhere around his collar, and headed straight for him, walking slightly faster than usual.

She bowed when she reached him. "Greetings, Lord Yoon. I have come to greet and welcome the guests."

Choi Yoon stared at her like he was seeing her for the first time. Then caught himself and cleared his throat.

"Welcome." He said quietly, then held out his hand.

She looked from it to him in mild surprise. Was he trying to keep up appearances? She didn't think he would offer a hand.

But his face... His face looked forbidding! As if he was daring her to try touching his hand!

Did he want her to ignore his hand, or did he want her to take it? What kind of confusing scenario was this?

Still, it would be disrespectful if she didn't take his hand, right?