21. Sleepwalker

.

It was late night, and the silence that came with sleep had settled over the Sky Palace and its environments.

But Choi Yoon lay awake.

He had stared at his ceiling for a while, trying to understand why sleep failed him.

'Kim Sae Yeon...'

A small voice whispered in his head, but he pushed the thought away. 'Surely not!'

'Oh?' The voice was persistent. 'Then why did you really show off so much today?'

Pause.

'And why were you especially angry when Seo Kang indicated his interest?'

'That was obviously because -!'

But he himself didn't know the answer to that question...

Perhaps he was petty and wanted to show everyone who the best really was!

Perhaps he was too petty to let anyone else take something that belonged to him!

Choi Yoon rose from the bed and glanced around his chamber, wondering how he should pass the time.

He would have turned to wine and a good book, but all he had here was human wine, which wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

He picked his flute and returned to the balcony, then sat in his usual dangerous position on the railing.

He brought the Flute to his lips, then began to play softly, and the sweet melody of the Flute floated into the night, gently parting the silence.

A Night jar, then two, then three sang along with the peaceful melody...

.

Sae Yeon was dreaming...

Or she wasn't...

Or she was...

It was a bit confusing.

A Flute was playing beautifully from somewhere. Her mind seemed to have latched unto the Flute, because her feet carried her there.

It was nothing really, just a certain feeling.... It was like she had no worries, but absolutely needed to find who was playing the Flute.

Slide.

She slid the chamber doors open and stepped in...

Choi Yoon's fingers halted above the Flute holes, as he turned to see who had dared to open his doors.

He was surprised to see Kim Sae Yeon facing him.

"Ya-!" He began, then caught himself.

A wave of unpleasant nostalgia hit him, as he remembered the few times she had appeared in his chamber, just like this!

"What are you doing here?" He asked, floating down from the balcony's railing, his open robes billowing behind him.

No response.

He stared at her furiously for a few seconds, then sighed, turning back to face the night sky.

"Did you come to annoy me? If so, just return to your chamber. Or did you forget our deal? Don't forget the balcony doors are wide open. Should I just toss you over?"

But even as he spoke, he was reminded that Kim Sae Yeon would actually never enter his chamber without a good reason.

The way things were, she wouldn't enter, period.

He swivelled round to look at her again, and he noticed that she stared straight ahead, a serene expression on her face.

Her eyes were not even looking at him, but seemed to be looking through him...