12. Quarrels and Realization

Mahil :

"Should I drop you home?" Kuhoo asked.

When did we exchange roles?

"I don't think - Ahh," I yelped as my tongue accidentally rolled over the mighty tooth due to which it all started.

"Be careful," She fretted.

"I get that you want to help. But from here, I can take it forward," I nodded pressing the button on my car key as we made our way to the parking. And she followed me like a lost puppy.

Freyer was standing there taking the support of my car. So, he didn't leave. This kid had started disobeying me. Although he was close, my only constant in this city over years but I being the boss got to order, not the other way around. "Why are you still here?"

"How could I leave you in that state?" Freyer replied not meeting my eyes.

"Because I asked to," I clenched the teeth not realizing that a simple action would culminate into a sharp cramp-like pain in my left jaw. It made me close the eyes tightly.

"Are you okay?" They both uttered at the same time and I sighed. Together, these two could eat my head with their habit of testing my patience. It was a relief that they weren't well-acquainted with each other.

"Boss, I'll drive us back. Please, let me," Freyer forwarded his hand requesting for the car key.

"No, he is getting a pain killer first," Kuhoo snatched the key from him. Her authoritative tone made my assistant look at me in consternation. He raised the brows as if asking whether she was someone important, or a client.

"Don't you have other important things to do? Out of all the days, you chose this one to show your growing interest in me? Just go back to the hospital and attend other patients with toothache," I snapped.

"I am a Neurosurgeon. That was a dental clinic," Kuhoo threw me a death glare.

"The same thing," I shrugged wondering why she suddenly looked so worked up.

"You uneducated fool. No, it isn't the same," She snarled.

"Excuse me?" I stared at her open mouthed, "How dare you call me that? Don't try to pick up meaningless fights."

Kuhoo's nostrils flared, "Meaningless? Do you even know the difference between a Dentist and a Neurosurgeon? Do you know what it - "

"Both are doctors, right? Now, it isn't my fault that you to have your head high in the sky. I didn't get my lunch because of this whole scenario. Pull into some restaurant on our way, Frey," I gave her a tight-lipped smile and opened the door to passenger seat.

"Mahil," She called in a calmer tone.

"Stop calling me that, woman," I mumbled inaudibly. Last time she called me like that, I landed on that chair with a drilling machine in my mouth, well whatever they named it. On Sunday when Kuhoo called me 'Mahil' I zoned out till the time she appeared with a bandage. Conclusion - This woman could make me do anything just by saying one word. And that was scary.

"Start the car," I told Freyer.

"Mahil," Her voice was softer than earlier, "You are not allowed to eat anything at least for two hours. Let the filling set in, properly."

I sighed, "Kuhoo, please."

"You don't want the procedure to go futile, do you? Wait for some time, I'll cook the food that is allowed for both of us," She gazed at me through the window.

Both of us, what did that mean?

"Why?" I mumbled.

Freyer cleared his throat, pulling the handbrake, turning the ignition off which he had started a few minutes back.

"I... I mean, why would you cook?" I stammered.

"Last weekend you prepared the curry rice for me. I couldn't thank you for it. Now that we both have food restrictions, let me make it up to you," She smiled.

I frowned, "Why do you have food restrictions? Wait, what were you doing in that clinic if it isn't your workplace?"

Scratching the back of her neck, she said, "I was there as a patient, not a doctor. See you in the apartment. Take a paracetamol or an ibuprofen if it pains too much."

I stared in Kuhoo's direction as she drove off in her black Honda city. I acted in such a dramatic way all the time and she was so calm. Why didn't I give it a thought, her being a patient?

"You like her, don't you?" Freyer asked with a foolish grin. I signalled him to start driving without uttering a word.

"Where to?" He pushed the first gear, slowly releasing the clutch and brake.

I fixed the seatbelt, "Home."

He chuckled, "So, you do like her. Who is she?"

"When did I say that?" I opposed that assumption. No matter how meticulously he handled my clients or took care of the professional works, at the end, he was just nineteen, a hormonal teenager.

"I know you. It isn't every day that Mahil Malhotra agrees with the woman he was fighting moments back. And why did I feel that it was not an actual fight? If my boss is irked with someone he hurls the perfect choice of words to shut them up and simply walks away. He rarely uses words like 'Excuse me' during a fight, that too in a tone as dramatic as a grandma throwing tantrums," He talked animatedly.

"Fine," I pressed the lips in a thin line, "But me liking her isn't enough."

"What if I say she seems to reciprocate the same?" His words made me draw a sharp breath.

I exhaled loudly, "Pay attention to the road ahead, Frey."

"Good lord, are you blushing? I never thought this day would come. You have to tell her about your feelings. She is pretty and... hot... umm... hot tempered I guess? But you like her, other things don't matter then. Finally! I'm so happy for you!" He gushed.

"Focus on the road ahead, Freyer," I said.

He took it as a cue to stay silent. Running a hand through my hair, I looked outside the window as we drove through a nearby market. It was just one week for Christmas. There were different shops with trees, decorations, gifts. Maybe, this year I could celebrate with someone, instead of being alone.

----------------------------------------------

Vote and comment!