33. Was it fate?

"Alright, I believe I have made it clear, every department should follow the stipulated schedule. Inspection body is expected to visit the institute in upcoming week. All departments will be given a prior intimation regarding the same." Dean rose from his chair. Others stood out of respect until he left the meeting hall.

"Dr. Kulkarni, the institute relies on your department this year. Only department of Obstetrics and Gynecology can be trusted with this task of making an impression on Inspection body since unworthy people have been assigned to control other departments," Dr. Deshmukh muttered to one of his associates making sure his words reached Jyotiraditya. Sparing a side glance to the man he decided to leave.

"Since when has this institute turned so petty offering a position as high as Head of Department to inexperienced kids?" Dr. Kulkarni added.

"Since the time a few experienced people decided to pay more attention to their own clinics, especially when it's strictly against the rules. People complaining about me being at this position should be happy that they were only demoted, because with their outside work being brought under light; possibilities were infinite." Jyotiraditya spoke in a low threatening tone.

"Whatever trick you've played to get in, it isn't going to work for a long time. I have been here more than two decades; you don't understand the internal politics as much as I do." Dr. Deshmukh said grinding his teeth.

Jyotiraditya grunted, "Don't forget you're talking to a Bharadwaj. We make the rules here. The politics you mention is only a way to catch our eye."

Dr. Deshmukh snickered, "We have heard enough tragic stories about Bharadwaj siblings. You, your pathetic excuse for an elder brother or your sister who's non-functional-"

That was last thread of Adi's patience, his hands immediately moved to the man's collar, eyes blazing fire, "How fucking dare you?"

No. He wasn't supposed to lose his cool this easily. Anger and violence were not going to do him any good. What was he thinking attacking a man almost twice his age?

Taking a deep breath he let go, "Mind your words, Dr. Deshmukh. I respect you and that's the only reason you're still a part of this institute."

"Oh, you don't. You're all just spoiled kids who were served everything on a silver platter." The man coughed vigorously, as Adi started to leave.

He sighed sauntering through the corridor. Words really spread faster in their circle. He was better off from these things. But how long was he supposed to run? Moreover, did he actually care about what people think?

It was already thirty past ten, usual time for his ward rounds. Then he also had to brief final year students about an admitted patient of heart failure. Later on, after three he had to check upon post graduate residents handling casualty patients.

In the evening, on his way out, Jyotiraditya crossed surgery casualty. Recognizing kids from his morning class, he paused for a moment. Three of them were learning how to give stitches. It probably was a road traffic accident patient with minor cuts here and there. The late comer kid opened suture packet. Holding the forceps she meticulously stretched the wound edges enough for a needle to pass through. Her friends observed carefully as she completed a few stitches. Then she looked at boy standing next to her, "You wanna try?"

The boy, whose name he recalled as Arush, took the needle holder timidly while staring at their patient's nasty wound only to keep it back in the tray, "I would rather be happy prescribing him some meds. Not everyone is fond of surgeries and bloodshed, Neeta."

Jyotiraditya chuckled hearing the boy's response. Oh, they had been just same, a few years back. Shaking his head, he walked further and her words started ringing in his ears, 'Suturing is such a basic skill, Adi. Every doctor should know it.'