It's been five days in New York. Five blissful days. We strolled along the tourist spots, discovered a few hidden spots, and had dinner at my parents' every night before concluding the day with messy but the hottest sex of my life. The wanton images of Riley under me, on top of me, or bent over make my body vibrate with heat.

Maybe that's why I'm out of breath already. I spent my energy elsewhere.

Grinning like an idiot to myself, I pick up speed and catch up with my brother who's been a couple steps ahead of me. His brows rise as a single drop of sweat slides down his forehead. I know I'm not going to be able to keep this pace up for long. So, I do the only thing every shitty, competitive brother would do – I push him into the grass and take off.

~~~

We're both panting when we finally get back to the starting point. Me more than him though.

"When's your flight?" Kacey asks, straightening from his hunched forward position.

"Tomorrow."

"You're lucky there's no blizzard," he tells me. "We had a bad one over Christmas."

I nod, not able to speak yet without losing my left lung.

He on the other hand doesn't sound too affected. "You know when you'll be back?"

"Not yet."

"We'll miss you, baby brother," he teases.

"Ugh." I shove him playfully. "I won't miss you."

"Oh, you will," he laughs and wipes a hand over his face. "You told Mom about moving yet?"

I grimace and shake my head. I told him and Lauren about my move the other day and they both didn't even blink, acting as if they'd always known I wouldn't stay. They knew I was going to leave again. I love my family, I do, but I've always been a vagabond. Felt the need to go about and explore. While my ex-bandmates bought condos and houses with more bedrooms than needed on either side of the coasts, I continued to live in hotels and hang out in bars. And even though I now feel the need to settle down a notch, there's still so much to explore and experience.

"I told Dad," I admit. And he squeezed my shoulder so hard it felt dislocated after. "But Mom..." I trail off. Mom is clingy and protective, especially of me – her youngest. And I know she wouldn't take it well.

Kacey nods in understanding. But still, I feel like a coward. I need to tell her that when I set foot on that plane come tomorrow evening, I will be gone for longer than a few weeks. It doesn't mean I won't visit regularly, but I know that the sheer knowledge of her youngest gallivanting about in Down Under will make her queasy.

I take a breath, puff my chest out as if that will give me courage. "I'll tell her tonight."

"About time," my brother mutters, earning another shove from my end.

~~~

When we approach the house I grew up in, my sweat has mostly dried, but I can already feel the slight burn in my quads and calves.

Kacey produces a key and lets us into the foyer. From the family room we hear Noah's squeals and excited gasps and we make our way into the house, leaving our muddy running shoes by the door. In front of the gleaming TV and flanked by Riley and our Mom sits Noah with his feet dangling off the sofa, practically vibrating on the spot and jumping every so often when noises come through the speakers. He's so focused he doesn't even notice us coming in. Next to him Riley has crossed her legs under herself, grinning contently while Mom's face is tight and her eyes are big.