38 ~ Aspaldiko

Aspaldiko
(Basque)
noun
The euphoria and happiness felt when catching up with someone you haven't seen in a long time

Aspaldiko(Basque)nounThe euphoria and happiness felt when catching up with someone you haven't seen in a long time

Emma excels in the quarter finals. But she runs out of luck and breath during the semifinals. Riley keeps calm and tries to be positive, but Emma's deeply disappointed and angry when she trudges through the sand after her last Heat, shoving her board in the sand with an exasperated huff.

Her mother and Riley try to talk her up, but it's me who makes her splutter a tiny, involuntary laugh when I tell her about dropping and looking for my guitar pick on stage for a minute during a live show. And when we pack up, she looks less upset and hugs her mom, thanking her for being here and supporting her. She does the same with Riley and me, and Sophie never looked more touched.

I would've been a great big brother.

I nod and wave her goodbye when Emma climbs into her mom's car, ready to head back home. Riley waves too and when the tailgate lights blink in the distance, I tug Riley under my arm, leading her back to the house.

"Do you miss competing?" I ask her, keeping my tone natural.

She doesn't need to think about my question. "I do," she admits, biting her lip and coming to a stop under a tree. She turns to face me, wetting her lips and opening her mouth as if she wants to say more. But she backpaddles, lifting her gaze to the greyed sky to avoid me. The season's changing and soon the temperatures will drop even more.

"Why didn't you try again?"

"Because... I didn't want to..." She trails off, clamping her eyes closed.

My skin crawls with a revelation. "It's because of Samir, isn't it?"

Riley's eyes fly open and snap to mine, but she nods.

I should've made that connection before. I feel so stupid. Samir was a surfer too. Surely, they spent a lot of time together doing what they loved. Everything is because of him. And I don't mean that in a negative way. No. Riley is who she is because of him. However, I can't stop that green and ugly something from knocking on my heart's door, and I hate it. Pushing it down, I try to arrange my facial expression into something more friendly and less scowling.

"I'm sorry," Riley whispers.

I take Baby's leash from her and drop a kiss to her cheek. "Why are you apologizing?"

She takes a ragged breath, shifting uncomfortably. "I'm sure you don't want to hear about him all the time."

I sigh. "It stings a little, yes." She flinches, but I grab hold of her elbow, finding her eyes. "But, Riley, he's been a big part of your life. Still is and always will be. I want to be part of your life too. And that includes your past. So, leave it up to me to deal with my fragile feelings and insecurities and tell me why you've never surfed competitively again. I can take it."