Part 32

Popping these parts out like babies//

A few hours have passed and (Y/N) was sitting on the steps of the cathedral. All her money, clothes, and food were at her house, but it's all burnt. She was devastated. She didn't even know who to blame. In a way, it was everyone's fault, but she couldn't bring herself to blame Diluc. If she had told him about her interaction with his brother and Childe, then this could have been avoided. But Childe shouldn't have followed her home. And Kaeya shouldn't have pretended to be her boyfriend. And Diluc most certainly shouldn't have reacted the way he did, without hearing anyone out.

She had a lot of thinking to do. First, it was 6AM, and she went to buy groceries, and suddenly, it was 2 p.m., and she had nothing. Diluc was probably arrested, which was really hard to think about. And Kaeya was either behind her in the cathedral's infirmary or back at the headquarters, healing. He was most likely going to be in the hospital for a while. He would need surgery to fix an injury like that. And Childe's probably back in Liyue, living free. Everything sucked. It was hard to think about without crying. She still had so many questions.

Suddenly, Amber of the knights ran up the steps with a sack. She slowly sat down next to (Y/N) and looked at her. She put the bag down in front of (Y/N) and sighed, clearly sorrowful and empathetic.

"That's all we could save from the ruins..." She said.

(Y/N) grabbed the bag and slowly opened it. There was the bottle of wine Diluc brought her. There was also the card he brought back. A few other useless house things, and that was it. She gripped the bag harder as her lip quivered a little.

"Thank you..." She sniffled.

Amber nodded a bit before hugging (Y/N) from the side, "I'm sorry that happened to you... If you were wondering, Diluc's at the headquarters. He won't talk... He just said a word or two and then turned away to cry silently. They didn't arrest him yet. They want information. Kaeya's in no condition to go into questioning, so we're letting him rest for the time being. Do you know what happened?"

(Y/N) explained the situation to her and sighed, "I don't get it..."

"Oh..." Amber frowned, "Would you come talk to Diluc? He might respond to you..."

(Y/N) shrugged a bit and looked at the card. She swallowed. She squinted into the distance for a bit and then nodded, "Yeah... I just- Want to know what his deal was..."

Amber gave (Y/N)'s back 2 taps and then stood up, "Awesome! Come on!" She ran down the stairs.

...

(Y/N) walked into the small interrogation room and made direct eye contact with Diluc.

She looked cautious and quiet while he looked guilty and miserable.

He was the first to look away and looked down as he sat up straight. He cleared his throat and then sniffled.

(Y/N) sat down opposite from him, and Amber shut the door.

(Y/N) and Diluc had an awkward minute of looking away from each other to avoid eye contact. It was kind of depressing.

Finally, (Y/N) inhaled, "Diluc--"

"You don't need to be here..." Muttered Diluc, cutting her off.

The two apologized for speaking at the same time and then decided on Diluc going first.

"I'm... Awful... I mean- I set your house on fire, and I almost amputated the Cavalry Captain..." He teared up, "I don't deserve redemption. I acted completely inappropriately. What's the deal... With you and those men?" He asked quietly.

(Y/N) frowned the whole time he spoke. She really did love him, but she didn't know how to handle this. A really strange part of her was beginning to hate him.

"I really couldn't tell you... Childe, the harbinger, came looking for me, Barbatos knows why... And then- Captain Kaeya chased him away by pretending to be my boyfriend... Then Childe showed up at my house, and--"

Diluc was staring at the table the whole time. It was really strange. (Y/N) had to stop to look at him.

"(Y/N)..." He wiped his eyes and looked up at her, finally. "Are you... Alright?"

(Y/N)'s tense expression suddenly softened. She stared at him a bit and then teared up, "I'm... I'm alright..."