🤍 Chapter 23

Author's Note:

As an apology in advance, here's a little fluff to prepare you for the heart-wrenching moments to come.

😈

Uh, sorry, I meant 😔.

.

.

.

🤍

.

.

.

In the night, torches and the bioluminescent glow of the surrounding flora illuminated the shores of Awa'atlu.

While scanning the lot of people who were still awake, Aonung searched for a certain Metkayina boy.

Luam's laughter filled his ears as he heard it coming from the communal area.

His back was turned to Aonung amid his chat with Neteyam, whose brows furrowed in confusion when he saw Aonung approaching.

The moment Neteyam opened his mouth to greet him, Aonung suddenly turned Luam around by the shoulder and punched him hard in the face.

"You tried to kiss Lia?!" His voice rang with anger.

"Oh, shit." Neteyam's eyes widened in shock as Aonung pulled Luam back to his feet and punched him again.

As Neteyam pushed himself against Aonung, he attempted to keep him away from Luam, who had fallen to the sand once more.

"Hey, calm down! What happened?" He grunted, struggling to keep Aonung still.

"Get off me! I'm gonna kill that fucking skxawng," Aonung hissed.

"Aonung! Don't. You know that's not a good idea," Neteyam grumbled.

As he screamed, he fought hard to keep his brother-in-law away from Luam. Despite this, Aonung was much taller and much stronger than he was.

It took him only a few pushes to slip past Neteyam. Frightened, Luam glanced up at him with wide eyes. His face was adorned with an ugly bruise and a busted lip.

"I warned you, didn't I? Touch my wife again and I'd rip you to shreds." His voice was low, and menacing as he balled his hands into fists.

"W-Wait, Aonung," Luam stuttered, groaning in pain. "W-We didn't do anything, I swear. I... I almost kissed her, but I did—"

In the middle of his sentence, Aonung pulled him up to his feet by his ponytail. While struggling against Aonung's hold, Luam grunted painfully.

Hissing at Aonung, he became frustrated. In a desperate attempt to free himself, he smacked Aonung with his tail as the latter released his grip.

"Listen to me! I love her but I will never do anything to harm you or her!" He yelled.

"Bro, you're not helping yourself!" Neteyam screamed, frustrated at the both of them.

"Oh, you love her, huh? You're gonna learn saying those words to her husband will only lead you to Eywa," Aonung retorted, brushing off the spot where Luam had hit him.

"Ah, shit! Both of you, stop it!" Neteyam looked around, uncertain of how to break them apart as Aonung kneed Luam.

Their fight had drawn the attention of those nearby, who had gathered to observe the scene before them.