🤍 Chapter 9

In the days that followed the arrival of the former villagers, much had changed.

A new day brought a new method of keeping a certain Metkayina boy away from the girl of his dreams.

The youngest son of the Sully family was slowly getting tired of Tsireya spending so much time with her best friend, Luam.

Eventually, he lost his temper.

Now he stood in front of her as she stared at him with concerned eyes.

"You do not like Luam?"

Her voice was soft as she spoke.

Fearing he would end up making her cry, Loak averted his gaze.

"It's not that I don't like him..." He answered, pausing momentarily. "I just don't like how he keeps spending so much time with you."

"But he is my best friend. I haven't seen him in a long time. Isn't it only logical that I spend time with him?"

Her eyebrows creased together in confusion. She didn't seem to be understanding where he was going with this.

Maybe Neteyam was right after all. Perhaps, she was dense when it came to his jealousy toward her and Luam.

Loak sighed. "Yeah, I get that. What I'm trying to say is that I want to spend time with you too. It just seems that lately, you've been gone with him a lot."

"But we are spending time together, no?" She frowned. "And as I said, he is my best friend. I thought you and Luam have been getting along well too."

As he scratched his neck in frustration, he took a step back. This action prompted her to gaze at him in disbelief.

"Why are you angry? If you do not like Luam, then just say so, Loak."

"You don't get it." He shook his head in defeat. "You know what? I give up. Just... go and do whatever you want to do with him."

Before she could respond, he turned around and walked away. Now frustrated herself, Tsireya's mouth fell agape.

"You don't get to be angry!" She called after him. "If I don't understand, come back here and make me understand!"

In response to his silence, she let out a small scream and stomped away.

It was evident that he had romantic feelings for her for a long time now. It was just a matter of waiting for him to take the first step.

As she and Luam had discussed before, she had no idea what Loak was waiting for. They remained nothing more than friends even after over a year of friendship.

She turned around to look at him, and a glimmer of hope glowed in her heart, but then quickly disappeared when he dove into the water and mounted the ilu.

.

.

.

🤍

.

.

.

Lia felt comforted by the sea breeze as she waited in the waters with Kiri.

With Rotxo on their own ilu, they awaited Luam and Tsireya.

According to what Kiri had told her about her recent discovery of being able to communicate with sea life, Lia suggested they visit the Cove of Ancestors.