🤍 Chapter 20

Jake sighed heavily, fatigue slowly engulfing him as he tied the last knot on the saddle he had helped repair for the returning villagers.

Beyond the horizon, an orange and yellow hue dominated the sky.

Alongside him, Tonowari, Aonung, and Neteyam were assembling the other gears. Other Metkayina men assisted them by sharpening and tying materials together.

As Loak's voice filtered through his earpiece, Jake paused. Through his earpiece, Neteyam also heard his brother's voice as he shifted his gaze to his father.

Taking the ropes from Neteyam, Aonung tied them to the wood himself as he gave him an odd look.

Jake furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He pondered what his youngest son might be up to now.

"Eagle Eye, send your traffic," he replied.

Upon hearing Loak's reply, Neteyam suddenly stood up, taking Aonung by surprise.

"Dude, you good?" He creased his brows at him.

However, Neteyam just glanced at him, his breathing accelerating. It made him nervous to think that the Recoms had found them again, even after a year had passed.

Slowly, his worst nightmare was becoming a reality.

"Alright, what's your pos? Over," Jake replied to Loak, his gaze shifting toward his oldest son.

His face dropped when he heard that it wasn't only Loak who was at the waterfall.

"Who's we?" He asked gruffly.

Neteyam's eyes widened as he cursed in frustration at his brother's response. When Aonung saw this, he placed a hand on his forearm.

"Neteyam, seriously. Are you good, bro?"

In an uncertain moment, he glanced at Aonung, uncertain if he should let him know that his mate and his baby were deep in the jungle with their enemies nearby.

"Loak, Kiri, Tuk... and Lia are in the jungle right now. They spotted Recom avatars. Our enemy, the Sky People that's been hunting us," he mumbled.

In an instant, Aonung dropped the materials in his hand as his breath hitched in his throat. He felt fear gripping his heart.

"Damn it. Son, you listen to me very carefully. Pull back right now," Jake commanded Loak. "Do not make a sound and get the hell out of there. Move, copy?"

"What has happened?" Tonowari asked him.

"We gotta go to the jungle, now. My children are in there and they spotted four Recom avatars."

Without saying anything further, they rushed to gather their weapons in a hurry. The four men, along with Neytiri and Siwei, began their search under a darkening sky.

On high ground, Neytiri, Neteyam, and Siwei searched with their ikrans, while Jake, Tonowari, and Aonung searched by foot on low ground.

The more time passed, the more terrified Aonung became. There was a desperate hope in his heart that Lia and the others would be safe and sound.

"Anything from up there?" Jake asked through his communication device.

"No, sir. Wei and I will circle the other side of the island," Neteyam replied, glancing back at Siwei, who tightened her grip around his waist.

He had bumped into her earlier on his way to the Marui. Even though he didn't want her to tag along for her safety, she was stubborn and forced her way through.