🤍 Chapter 5

During the evening hours, the Metkayina people went about their daily routines along the shore of Awa'atlu.

Lia glanced at Aonung, who had been wearing a sullen expression since morning, as she listened to the waves crashing on the sand.

"Does it really have to be him?" He pouted, his hand resting on her hips.

"You heard what your father said," she chuckled as she patted his back.

Since Aonung would be busy with Olo'eyktan duties, Tonowari had assigned someone else to teach her how to tame a skimwing.

Upon discovering who this person was, he had been complaining all morning.

From a distance away, they spotted Luam making his way toward them.

"Hey, you know what to do if he tries anything, right?" Anonung looked at her with a serious expression on his face.

"A knucklehead deserves a knuckle sandwich," she said, rolling her eyes. "My dad really instilled that into your head, huh?"

"And, what else?" he continued, ignoring her remark. "That knuckle head-sandwich only made me fall deeper in love with you, so it wasn't very effective by itself."

Lia let out a chuckle as she pecked his lips. "There, better? Netty's gonna be there too, so stop worrying about me. I'll be fine."

"Oh, baby," he scoffed, giving her waist a gentle squeeze. "It's not you I'm worried about. It's him."

"Seriously, you need to stop hanging out with my dad. You're starting to sound more and more like him every day."

"When I taught you how to ride an ilu, where did I touch you, babe? Hm?" He raised a brow at her.

At his sudden statement, her mouth fell open.

"That's because you're—" She paused, taking a quick look around before whispering, "a really horny man!"

He chuckled at her reaction. "You're so cute. Hate to burst your bubble, but all men are horny."

She sighed heavily as Luam approached them, his smile sweet and genuine.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hey, broski." Aonung returned his greeting and placed a sweet kiss on Lia's hand before backing away. "I'll come by later and check on you."

Then he raised his head at his friend.

"No funny business," he joked, to which Luam just laughed awkwardly.

Meanwhile, Lia's eyes grew wide for a few seconds then she shot him a glare. However, Aonung simply winked at her before he turned around and walked away.

As soon as he did so, the smile on his face was quickly replaced with a frown. He had intended it to be a joke, but a part of him had meant it seriously.

In an awkward manner, Lia cleared her throat once her mate had left.

"Um, sorry about Aonung. He's just joking."

Luam chuckled nervously. "It's okay. I'm used to his boldness."

Although deep down, he knew it wasn't okay. His friend wasn't joking. Knowing Aonung, he was actually serious about his statement.

He felt his friend might have seen through him, and he needed to get rid of his feelings for the girl in front of him as soon as possible.

It wasn't right. However, part of him feared that it might be too late to make that change.

Every time he looked at Lia, he could hear his heart beating against his eardrum.

"So, uh, should we get started?" She gave him a small smile as she pointed toward the sea.