Getting out of the car with a nervous expression keeping my face, I rushed to meet her half way. She picked up her walking pace to a jog and frantically fell into my embrace. Her body was tense and anxious, and it caused my eyebrows to knit in concern. Drawing back to get a look at her, I could see her puffy eyes, disheveled clothes, and a faint mark on her neck. Her eyes were trained to the ground, seemingly embarrassed as mine scanned her appearance.

"Baby, what-"

"Can we go get milkshakes? It's been a while since I've had one." A verbal response didn't leave me. I just stared at her with concern until she reluctantly met my gaze. Once she did, my heart sank. "Please?"

Closing my eyes, my head hung with a wary sigh as I whispered, "Alright baby come on."

Grabbing her hand, I walked us to the car, opened the door for her, then went back to my side.

The drive to Chick Fil A was painfully silent. I wanted so badly to ask Sade what had happened to her, but I knew she'd just say she doesn't want to talk about it. It'd come out sooner or later, so I guess I'd just have to wait until she was ready. But this feeling I had, of knowing something was wrong and something happened to her. To know that I wasn't there and that it's apparently so bad that she's gone completely mute on me about it. It was driving me insane.

With knit eyebrows, I glanced over at my girlfriend. It looked as if she was trying her best to hold back tears while gazing out the car window. The sight alone made my stomach turn. What the hell happened? Glancing at her again after looking back to check the road, I saw she was anxiously playing with her fingers. Breaking the tense silence, I whispered to her,

"Emerald?...." she didn't say anything. I sighed, "Sade, baby can I have your hand? Please?" my voice was as gentle and cautious as possible.

The second she turned to me, adjusting in her seat, I could see a single tear drop from her eye. Holding my hand out over the armrest, I glanced at her again. She took it, interlacing our fingers, and I squeezed a little while caressing her skin with my thumb.

Pulling into the drive thru, I leaned to her side slightly and drew the back of her hand to my lips, planting a lingering tender kiss.

"Do you want just a milkshake or you wanna add some food as well?"

Her voice broke barely above a whisper, "A number one meal please with the milkshake. I forgot to eat today." Frowning upon hearing my girlfriend's last sentence, I turned to order through my open window.

"Hi, welcome to Chick Fil A! Can I get a name for the order?"

"Yeah, it's Lauren."

"Alright Lauren, order when you're ready!"

I could feel Sade squeeze my hand as I began to speak, "I'll have a number one with no pickles and a cookies n' cream milkshake with extra oreo. And then another milkshake made the same way please."

"Of course! Any sauces for you?"

"Ranch and polynesian please."

"Alright, that'll be 15.76 at the red tent. We'll see you at the window!"

"Okay, thank you."

"It's our pleasure!"

After getting the food and milkshakes, I thought about sitting in the parking lot, but I didn't want her thinking I was pressuring her to talk about it. So instead, I drove home. Hoping it would soothe her, I connected my phone to the car's Bluetooth and played her favorite playlist. The songs on there gave an old, old school vibe and were very calming to the spirit. 'Saturn' by Sleeping At Last was the first song to serenade through the speakers. Once taking her hand back in mine after putting my phone down, I could feel some of the tension she held leave her. It relaxed my nerves a bit.