learning basics • 12 •

Authors note; sorry for taking so long with this chapter! Ive been quite busy and a mess and I just haven't had inspiration but I am back and writing again!! By the way, this is taking place a few days after their first time practicing!!!

lucy's pov;

"No Lucy, you have to step to the right!" Natsu groaned, rubbing his temple and I almost threw the basketball at him. Almost.

Natsu and Natsu during basketball were two very different people. When he was just normal Natsu, he was cheerful, jokester, the typical popular guy traits but in basketball? He was completely different. His expression was always serious and he was much more patient, he also took things a lot more serious in comparison to the normal him. It was weird seeing this side of him.

"Do the workout regiment then get a drink and come back, I want to try something." I nodded and began to do jumping jacks, then jogging in place, then scissors and a few more, then ended with burpees. My arms ached and I looked over to see that Gajeel was getting along with Levy. They were laughing while he was teaching her different moves. How was Gajeel normal while Natsu wasn't?

"You have to start working harder Lucy if you want to be a star player on the team." I heard Natsu mutter as he walked by my ear, and it still wasn't the usual Natsu mode, but a tiny bit more asshole-y ish. Did I even want to do this?

Of course I did! This is Levy and I's favorite sport. Especially Levy, because she makes up for her short height finally. I was just a normal player which I don't mind. Sure I wasn't the tallest but I'm not extremely short. I'm contempt with how I am.

I noticed Natsu drinking his water bottle and holy shit it was hot. I turned away immediately, my face blushing brightly. "Ready Lucy?" He called and I nodded. We've been practicing for a few days and its finally Friday so I was thankful for that. We're still getting used to the school but all of our teachers love Levy and I, as do our friends.

I ran over to him as he passed me the ball. "I want you to get past me." He stated, staring my blankly in the eyes.

"But.. How?" He shrugged.

"I don't know, just do it though. And don't forget to make the shot, and no carrying the ball!" I nodded and looked down, taking a deep breath. I can do this! Actually.. Probably not.. But I'll try. I dribbled the ball, keeping it close to me. Levy and Gajeel had one half of the court and we had the other.

I tried to move quick on my feet and trick him by going the other way but he was always there somehow before me. I was panting heavily and he chuckled. "Want to try and take a shot from there?" He offered, winking. I was at the half court line and I didn't know how else to get by him and make the shot. I nodded and dribbled the ball.

I bent my knees and my arms, releasing the ball as soon as I reached the highest point in my jump. I turned around, rubbing the back of my neck, knowing I missed.

"Woah." I heard Natsu mutter and I turned around to see the ball make it into the net.

"Lucy can you try to take another half court shot?" He asked and I nodded. He ran over to get the ball then passed it to me. I did the same thing as before, and made it.

"Have you ever done a half court shot before Luce?" When I heard him say Luce, I was honestly relieved. He wasn't all tense Natsu anymore.

"No. Not really. I only practice close shots."

"We'll keep practicing close basket shots, but I want you to try and practice half court shots a lot more, and tell me how many you miss and how many you make, alright Luce?" I nodded and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"We should probably get going, everyone will start arriving soon. Good job today Luce!" I smiled brightly, my cheeks heating up, both from heat and him using that nickname.

I went into the changing room, Levy coming in after not that long after. "Hey Levy-chan!" I said cheerfully, buttoning the top of our uniform.

"Hey Lu-chan! How was your practice?"

"Tough and fun, yours?"

"Mine was the same." We finished getting changed, talking about our practices. We did this every day after practice. Then we met up with Juvia and talked with her for a few minutes, then homeroom, then the rest of the day.

We met up with Juvia, talking about different things.

"So how are things going with you and Gajeel, Levy?" Juvia had the idea that Gajeel and Levy were totally into each other, and I believed it. Also shipped it. She groaned quietly.

"Nothing is going on between us Juvia."

"Sure.. How about you and Natsu, Lucy?"

"Nothing is going on between us either. We're just friends."

"But I've never seen them smile so much except when they're with you guys. The last time Gajeel smiled that happily was when he was a child.." She trailed off and looked down, a sad expression on her face now. Did something happen in Gajeel's past?

"What about Natsu?"

"Oh.. I didn't really know him as a child. Gajeel is been my childhood best friend. But we should start getting to homeroom. See you both in third block later!" The somewhat sad expression disappeared and her normal smile came back.

"I wonder.. Did something happen in Gajeel's past?" Levy muttered quietly then look up at me. I shrugged, then we went our separate ways to homeroom, then first block.

I sat in my usual seat, relaxing against it. I couldn't wait to see Natsu. Not basketball Natsu, but the one I met the first day. Sure, basketball Natsu scared me, but I still liked him.

"Is that how he does so good? Maybe he scares his opponents away with how scary he is.." I asked myself, not realizing I said it out loud until the girl behind me said something.

"That's part of it. People who have gone against him say he turns into what seems like a dragon. His strength turns into a dragon's. His spirit turns into a dragon's. Everything of him turns into a dragon, and it's scary." The girl behind me had brown hair and was invading the school uniform code. Her shirt was unbuttoned one or two more than it should have been.

"I didn't know that.. When is their next game?"

"Supposed to be this weekend I'm pretty sure. By the way, I'm Cana, and I don't need to know your name. You introduced yourself already." I nodded, continuing to talk to the girl.

Natsu walked in, his smile practically lighting up the rooms atmosphere. Everyome brgan to talk to him and he answered back. Cana stayed with me and we continued to talk until Me. Conbolt made us be quiet.

"Please continue your projects." Me. Conbolt said, sitting down at his computer.

"Ready Luce?"

"You know it." I smiled, winking.