Just Breathe (Endless Pt 6)

Start from the beginning

She takes another deep breath, inhaling and exhaling slowly.

Then she remembers, when she exhaled her last breath. The seawater was cold and invasive, but she let it into her lungs willingly, knowing it would give her the power to purge the water from Jay's lungs. It was the only thing that mattered. And just like then, she allows herself to succumb.

It's as if Jay can sense the shift in energy, because he echoes his words from before. "You control it. It doesn't control you."

Nya nods, repeating those words in her mind over and over. She switches her focus from Jay's element to hers. As she does, the waves begin to build.

A sudden rush of adrenaline pumps through her veins but she keeps pushing forward. In her mind's eye she sees an ocean, watching the rippling surface grow larger. There are clouds overhead, dark gray and ominous, threatening rain. Thunder roars in the distance. Lightning flashes.

She focuses harder, trying to detangle her element from his. She can't keep hiding from the waters. If she wants to survive, she needs to face them head-on.

She searches deep within herself. It starts small, barely noticeable. A single drop of water falls from the heavens onto the earth below. Tiny droplets trickle down, making their way toward a puddle of mud. Then more drops join the first, forming a stream and eventually a river. Soon enough it spreads across the land, covering everything in sight with thick, heavy sheets of moisture.

It's like a dream, but everything is in vivid detail.

Water covers every inch of the landscape, creeping closer and closer to the trees. Some fall victim to the deluge while others struggle to stay afloat. Still other plants thrive, growing taller than ever before. Trees stretch high into the sky, reaching for the sun. Roots dig deeply into the soil, anchoring themselves firmly in place.

But it's all for not. The waters rise too fast, until they completely cover the earth. The ocean reigns supreme, endless and eternal.

All around, the air crackles and pops, charged with electricity. Raindrops cascade down and the wind howls.

Out in the distance, near the horizon, she sees two glowing entities. The feel strangely familiar. In an instant they draw near, orbiting around each other in perfect harmony.

Wave and Storm. Ying and Yang. One cannot exist without the other. She sees it now, before the First Spinjitzu Master, water, wind and lightning existed together. But they were in agony. Cursed by Wojira, forced to do the sea serpent's bidding. The cycle was broken by Nyad, but the curse persisted, until Nya destroyed the wave amulet and subsequently the storm amulet. She finally brought them peace. But it came with a price that her friends, family, and Jay had to pay.

Her shoulders tense and her breathing becomes shallow and fast.

"Don't worry. I've got you." Jay's voice is low and reassuring.

Nya relaxes her shoulders, leaning into him, her back pressing against his chest and she can feel the gentle prickle of his elemental power try to soothe her nerves.

"Keep going, you're almost there."

"I should have drank some sereni-tea before we started."

Jay chuckles and she can feel the vibrations from his chest. "When we are done I'll tell you about the time Mystakè drugged Lloyd and I."

"What?!"

"Hey, focus, or I'm keeping my mouth shut."

Nya's whole body shakes with laughter. "You, keep your mouth shut? Now you are intentionally trying to distract me."