Xiao | Birthday Special

As the moonlight streams down on you, its glow gentle on the eyes, your gaze is sweeping the lovely scenery. This is something you always enjoy doing while waiting for your boyfriend's arrival—to observe the beautiful Liyue up from Wangshu Inn.

A whooshing sound can be heard behind you, followed by some careful footsteps, and then a simple: "(Y/N)."

You push yourself off the railing and turn around with a beam, relieved to see him without any injuries for tonight. "Xiao! I'm happy to see you."

He smiles faintly and sighs through his nose, joining beside you as he rests his arms against the railing, leaning against it. Glancing at you, he asks, "What did you want to talk about? I recall you told me it was an important matter you urgently needed to discuss with me."

Though he's mostly keeping a pretty nonchalant demeanor, you note a bit of anxiousness coming through based on the way his fingers suddenly start to tap against the railing in a rhythmic way under your serious gaze.

"Xiao," you begin while looking at him intently, "what do you want to do for your birthday tomorrow?"

His eyes widen for a brief moment, his fingers no longer drumming, as if he isn't expecting such a question. "Birthday...?" he repeats under his breath before shaking his head. "Hmph. There's no need to go through celebrating such a day with me."

"Okay, okay. I know you said you don't do this celebration crap, but why don't we make an exception for this one?" You hug his arm. "It's our first time celebrating your birthday as lovers, so I just thought it was extra important for you to experience," you explain, eyes crinkling slightly.

He immediately turns his head away from you, clearing his throat, as he nods. "Fine. If you insist, then... a stroll through the city will do. I heard of an upcoming festival occurring tomorrow night."

"Ooh, perfect!"

Xiao's birthday quickly arrives. You're standing around off to the side, waiting for the male, as the colorful sea of people are roaming around the vibrant city, checking out the sundry stalls and activities. The aroma of delectable Liyue cuisine fills the air.

"Sorry for the wait," a voice quietly reaches your ear. His arms are crossed in a leisurely manner.

You turn around and smile warmly, holding out your hand for him to take. "Happy birthday, Xiao! Make sure you enjoy tonight, okay? I'm paying."

His face flushes a bit as he slowly takes your hand after some hesitation and squeezes it in response, leading you to the first few stalls set up. You end up buying some matching, beaded bracelets for the two of you to wear. The flower charms on them sway along to the movements as you're swinging your hand with Xiao's.

As much as you keep pleading the adeptus to buy something, anything, he refuses and assures the bracelet is just enough. As always, he reminds you that he doesn't have much need for materials, let alone desires, like mortals do.

Then, you pay a visit to Smiley Yanxiao to get a packed bag of your order before going to Chef Mao at Wanmin Restaurant to buy some of your own favorite dishes.

Prior to tonight, you have been setting up a small picnic area at a quiet, scenic place in the outskirts, and so you're leading the confused male there after spending some time strolling around the city. A cozy blanket is spread out on the grass, under the large tree, and a small, wooden table is on top, hosting a small candle to offer some light.

"Ta da! A surprise picnic just for you and me." You pull the male down to the table and begin taking out Chef Mao's specialities for yourself. The packed bag from Smiley Yanxiao is, of course, full of almond tofu: Xiao's favorite.

He immediately takes a container out and gets a spoonful of the tofu, nodding in satisfaction as he's happily chewing. You swear you can see flower petals and sparkles floating around him in this moment. Although he doesn't say much, his slight shift in expression and movement reveals his true feelings.

"Thank you," he says simply after some time of silent eating, briefly looking up at you in appreciation.

As if on cue, countless crystalflies emerge from the shadows, their glowing and sparkling bodies brightening the place. You smile, relieved to see they appeared, though for them to show up right after a "thank you" truly makes the situation seem magical.

A crystalfly slowly perches on your extended finger, which you carefully move over to the fascinated male in front of you. His gaze is focused all around him in wonder, reminding you of a kid experiencing a festival for the first time.

You reach across the small table, which catches his attention as he turns to you. Your finger brushes against his ear and lingers there before moving back to snap a quick photo. The yellow glow of the crystalfly offers a lovely contrast from his dark hair.

You beam. "You look beautiful, Xiao."

He clicks his tongue and turns away, crossing his arms. "You... you have no concerns with what you say, do you. It's..." he trails off, letting out a sigh as he shakes his head, "...forget it."

The faint blush present on his face makes your heart flutter. You lean across the table and rest your elbows on the surface, now close to him and his little crystalfly friend. From this proximity, you can see his flustered state much more.

"What is the purpose of getting closer...?" Xiao murmurs, gaze still averted.

Holding his face in your hands, you make him face forward. His flushed face is staring at you with a slight frown and furrowed brows, lips parted to say something—to question your motives. But nothing comes out except for a soft sound of surprise, like a breathy gasp.

"Happy birthday, my love," you whisper, leaning in to give him a loving kiss.

Xiao's hands clench into fists as his eyes widen, his body trembling a bit from all the nervousness. Despite how overwhelmed he feels though, he is also aware of the genuine joy and contentment he's experiencing. His heart is soaring, and it almost feels suffocating because of all this fuzziness and warmth.

All because of you and your adoration for him.

His teary, golden eyes slowly flutter closed. A hand rests on your shoulder to bring you a little closer (just a little), and he timidly begins to kiss you back.

-♡-

Late birthday special for the almond tofu lover, but a lovelie asked for one, so here he is! Congratulations to Xiao for being the first one to receive a birthday special.