Tighnari | Just A Light Distraction

The sun slowly begins to set in the horizon, creating a cooler air as dark, looming shadows appear from the towering trees. Although you've seen this sight numerous times already, you still feel a slight sense of anxiousness and unfamiliarity with the dark forest.

Shaking your head to clear such negative thoughts, you continue to move forward to the last destination where your final task is at: a dim lamp that supposedly needs to get fixed.

Your eyes sweep the place, searching for the dim lamp among the countless plants and bushes. A muted light flickers from nearby. You quickly rush to it and upon further observation, see that the problem isn't severe. It should take a few minutes to fix the lamp.

You take out the necessary tools and start working on it. Every once in a while, the bushes would rustle and sounds of tiny footsteps running would follow shortly after. It's a small animal like a bunny scavenging around for some food as usual, but you still flicker your eyes to the noise every time you hear it.

Shaking your head, you whisper, "Almost done..." and focus the last minute on the lamp, trying your best to ignore the noises.

Then you feel two taps on your shoulder.

"Ah, there you are."

You turn around, the tool in your hand getting ready to stab the mysterious person. The person grabs onto your wrist gently and clicks their tongue.

"I taught you better than that. With a slow reaction time that you're exhibiting, the enemy will easily take you down in one swipe."

Slowly, you look up to see the familiar male with long ears. "M-Master! Why are you here?!" you stammer, quickly standing up and dropping the tool.

He smiles and shakes his head. "Heh, is it wrong for the master to check on his student?"

"Of course not! I'm just... surprised to see you here..."

To be more exact, you're both surprised and flustered. You've fallen for the forest watcher over the years of being a diligent student under him, learning about the forest and how to be an experienced forest ranger. Beneath the critiques and stern stares lies a gentle voice, kind gaze, and warm touch.

Simply thinking about that one time when his hands are around your face, checking for any injuries or bug bites, makes your heart soar. You clear your throat and go back to kneeling on the dirt, holding onto the lamp in hopes of calming your fumbling hands.

Tighnari sighs and crouches down beside you. "Staring at the lamp won't magically fix it, you know. Are you expecting it to? Your hands must do the work."

You pick up the tool that you dropped from before and continue your progress. The only issue is your master's existence, currently present right next to you, so close that you can smell the faintness of the fresh water from the Avidya Forest, the fragrance of the sumeru rose, and the earthy scent of mushrooms.

He stares at you wordlessly for some time before extending his gloved hand, palm faced up. "Hand it over. I can finish up the rest," he says.

"I got it, I got it!" You nudge his hand away. "I'm just a bit distracted today. Sorry, Master; I'll do my tasks better tomorrow."

Tighnari hums in thought, his head slightly tilted. Dropping his hand, he rests an elbow on his leg and faces you with a small smile. You flicker your eyes to him curiously, lips parted to ask what's the matter, but his hand on your head stops you.

"You're completing your tasks well. At least you don't pick up random mushrooms and eat them carelessly like the brainless adventurers do."

You smile in response as he takes the lamp from your hands, along with the tool, and quickly finishes up what you were working on. The light flickers on again, this time much brighter.

He nods and says, "There. Now the path is easily visible from a distance for adventurers and animals alike."

Standing up, he brushes off the dirt on his pants and offers a hand down. "It's best to head back now. Collei prepared some pita pockets for everyone, and you need all the energy you can get for tomorrow."

You take his hand as he pulls you up to your feet. Just as he's about to let go, you squeeze it and thank him, moving your hand away and speed walking back to the base.

The forest watcher watches you leave, smiling and shaking his head at the way your steps seem to be lively and bright like the lamp. He stares at his hand, the one that touched you, and closes and opens it as if to remember your warmth again.

"What a distraction you are, (Y/N)."

-♡-

AAAAAAAA, Sumeru is finally here!! I adore Tighnari (Tighnari wanters will be Tighnari havers!) and Collei a lot already. Her admiration for Amber and the way she rambles about her is so freaking cute.

Everything is so pretty in Sumeru. The music is lovely and serene too. Are any of you lovelies pulling for any of the Sumeru characters? I'm thinking about Dehya at the moment, but also have Cyno, Kaveh, and Candace in mind.