9- No one but you

Spencer's pov

Spencer's pov

Setting my satchel on the seat beside mine. I take a seat and search the bag for my most recent book. I crack it open and sigh, seeing how little I've read it so far. Regardless, I put the thought to the side and begin to read. Yet after a moment, it's clear I won't be getting any further in this book.

Truthfully, I've been distracted lately. My mind isn't quiet and unfortunately, neither is the plane. I try my best to ignore the conversation, but when it's about me that can be very difficult. Really I blame Derek and Garcia. She checked the cameras at the strip club and watched us in the parking lot, then conveyed the message of our conversation to Derek. Who of course found the situation humorous and brought it up at any given opportunity.

"I mean Spencer. This Spencer. Our Spencer." Derek says in true disbelief. "Caught between an exotic dancer and an up-and-coming actress." He pauses and makes a "stank" face. But he's told me before that it's a good thing. "Damn. Out of all of us I thought it woulda been me."

My coworker's previous words play in the back of my mind along with their current ones.

"I mean, you really can't blame her." Elle says matter-of-factly. "If the guy I was going on a date with was on the cover of a magazine with some actress, I wouldn't want to talk to him either."

"Same here." JJ agrees with a nod. "And don't forget about the pool."

"Nothing happened in the pool." I tell them from my seat.

Coughing, I clear my throat and return to my book. Or to aimlessly staring at the page in front of me.

"Is that what you told her?" Derek jokingly asks.

My lips pull together, and my mouth goes dry. Derek's joking expression ceases.

"You did tell her, right?" He asks me again, careful this time.

I stay silent and almost in sync, a wave of confusion overtakes the team. They turn to look at me and, as profilers do, they analyze. If my body language didn't give it away, my facial expression did.

"Come on man." Derek disapproves.

"It didn't come up in the conversation. If she wanted to talk I would have told her, but she didn't so it never came up." I quickly explain before returning my focus to the book in front of me.

"Really Spencer."

"I knew it." Elle chuckles.

"Listen, the next time you see her you gotta be honest." Derek tells me. "Nothing worse than digging yourself a big hole over something that's already a big hole."

Although I only give Derek a raise of my brows, I do take his advice into consideration. Besides the fact that he has more experience than me, I know the best way to clear the air between us is with the truth.

After a while, a silence sweeps over the plane, leaving everyone besides me asleep. I'd finally managed to make a dent in the book, but that didn't stop my mind from wandering. Yawning, I rub my eyes and set my book aside. Pulling my phone out, I check my messages only to see none from her, I sigh at the absence. I miss her. Frowning, I put my phone back in my pocket and joined the others in their slumber.

When the plane lands, I'm woken by Derek. I spend the rest of my day doing paperwork and thinking of her. Wondering when it would be right to contact her, considering how going in person went. But would a text be too informal, she could easily just ignore it. Same with a phone call, but hearing her voice again would definitely be a plus.

With that thought in mind, I went home feeling optimistic. Excited to speak to her again, but nervous to explain the situation with Lila. I know this could go so many ways, and hopefully for the long term it goes well.

The sound of the ringing is almost nauseating.

"Please pick up." I whisper to myself, hoping that somehow she can hear me begging for her.

Yet, of course, she doesn't and the ringing continues. And with it, the anticipation inside me grows. For a moment it stops, and this time it doesn't start again. I'm quick to call her name and surprised to receive a response.

"Hi Spencer"

I grip my phone at her soft voice.

"Hi-i." I hesitate. "H-How." I swallow. "How was your day?"

She chuckles and I do the same.

"Regular. Good, I guess."

"That's good..."

I smile at the thought, but it feels empty in a way. Knowing I won't know any more details beyond "regular" and "good".

"So Lila Archer huh." She says, playing it off as a joke.

My smile fades and my eyes search the floor.

"I'm sorry." It slips from my lips without a second or even first thought.

Words flow from me like a river. My mouth is almost uncontrollable. I need her to know everything, to understand that nothing happened.

"Wow." She sounds upset, understandably. "Is, uh, is that all?"

"No."

She sighs and whispers something under her breath.

"I just... I also wanted you to know that regardless of this whole thing. I hope I can still eventually have a chance to take you on that date." I pause. "Or at least a late night spicy noodle hang out."

My attempt to lighten the mood works and she chuckles.

"I don't know about a date, but I'll definitely consider the noodles. Maybe."

"Really?" I ask hopeful.

"Yea, but I-I still need some time to think about some things."

"Okay. Uh well have a goodnight. "

"You too. Goodnight Spencer."

Moving my phone away from my face, I watch the screen. My thumb hangs over the red symbol, not daring to press it. I watch as she hangs up, and her contact leaves my screen. I miss her already.

Thank you for 600 reads! Honestly it seems like every week it goes up by 100. Anyway how was/ is your spring break?