Penelope nodded and gave me a much-needed hug before she returned to her desk. As soon as I closed my eyes I was out.

Thirty minutes later I woke up to Penelope shaking my shoulder, "They caught him and they're heading back home now!" Penelope said excitedly. I shot up from the couch and smiled. I grabbed my phone to text Emily.

Y/N: Dinner on me when you get back?

I put my phone down and gossiped with Penelope for a bit before I heard my phone ring ten minutes later.

Emily: Sounds perfect :)

I smiled as I put my phone away, but when I looked up I saw Penelope staring at me wide-eyed.

"What?"

"Who is making you smile at your phone like that."

"No one," I answer back immediately and Penelope started grinning, "Oh, it is so someone."

"Penelope-" I groaned.

"OH, MY GOD! Are you finally dating!" She yelled excitedly.

"Um," I had to pause. Wait. Are Emily and I dating? I mean we go on dates, talk all the time, and obviously have feelings for each other but we never made things official. Is it too early to want to be her girlfriend? Oh god, what if it scares her off when we talk about this? What if-

"Y/n if you don't answer my question I will hack into your phone," Penelope says pulling me out of my thoughts.

"NO!"

Penelope looked at me wide-eyed and I bit my lip, "I mean, I will tell you when I'm ready Pen. Please just respect that."

Penelope gave me a smile and grabbed my hand, "Oh, Y/n. I was just teasing, of course, I'll respect that. But I want to be the first person you tell when you're ready to open up!"

I squeezed her hand. "Thanks, Pen, you're the best."

"Tell me something I don't know." She giggled.

We talked for a little bit longer before I headed back to my desk to finish my report on the case. At around 4:30, I headed home since I had nothing else to do. The rest of the team wouldn't land until 5:30ish so I just told Emily to head to my apartment whenever she gets back.

Once I got home I tidied up my apartment and took a shower before putting on a pair of lounge shorts and a sweater. I pulled out a book to pass the time on the couch as Ivy cuddled up against my feet.

Twenty minutes later there was a knock on my door and I bolted off the couch with a huge smile. When I opened the door I saw Emily in cargo pants and a red tank top. Holy fuck, that damn red tank top always does something to me.

"Can I come in or are you just going to keep staring at me?" Emily teased.  I didn't even have the decency to be embarrassed or respond before I pulled her into a kiss. A week was too long to be away from her. Emily pulled me closer to her by my waist to deepen the kiss.

After a while, Emily pulled away with a smile. "Missed me, huh?"

"Just a little," I teased as I gave her one more quick kiss before leading her inside my apartment. As soon as we got inside I watched as she looked around, studying everything. She had been to my apartment before to pick me up for the Gala but she had never been in my apartment before.

"So, what does my apartment say about me? Serial killer or no?" I asked as Emily pulled her attention away from my apartment and let out a laugh, "Unless you kill people with an overabundance of plants and books, I think I'm safe."