Chapter 5 - Revelations

Nicki arrived at the front of Lauren and Robyn's house, it was evening and the grounds of the estate looked stunning in the fading light

Nicki arrived at the front of Lauren and Robyn's house, it was evening and the grounds of the estate looked stunning in the fading light. She loved coming out here, to this little slice of paradise just outside the city. The huge estate was like it's own little world. She got out of the car and looked up at the mansion before her. She'd been here a dozen times now, but she still found it impressive, it made Beyoncé's suburban palace look tiny in comparison.

Stop thinking about Beyoncé

Nicki had the whole weekend off. She was at her best friends party, she was supposed to be letting her hair down. But she just couldn't get Beyoncé out of her mind. The tension between them had only risen since that afternoon in Beyoncé's office. It was like Beyoncé had been watching Nicki's every move, her eyes dark and inscrutable. And every time Beyoncé was around it made Nicki simmer inside with something that wasn't entirely annoyance.

A weekend away from Beyoncé was exactly what Nicki needed, hopefully it would help to clear her head. She headed into the house, inside the entrance hall Nicki paused by a mirror to straighten out her outfit. The dress she wore was a knee length blue number that had been borrowed from Lauren. She didn't own many dresses that were fancy enough for an occasion such as this. These parties Lauren's girlfriend threw weren't Nicki's usual scene, but she still loved attending them, they were so glamorous. She fixed her hair, which she'd styled into loose waves, and followed a couple of guests into the ballroom. The party was in full swing, the room filled with dozens of people. She scanned the crowd until she found Lauren who was standing with Robyn by a table of canopies. As Nicki approached, Lauren spotted her, she rushed over to Nicki and pulled her to the side with a sheepish look on her face.

What's going on? Nicki asked

It's Beyoncé, she's here!

Nicki's stomach flipped. What's she doing here?

Robyn invited her, I didn't realise she was your Beyoncé until Robyn introduced us. We were all talking and she mentioned some stuff that sounded familiar, like her job and that she had twins, and it clicked.

Great.

That was just Nicki's luck, she'd left the city and she still couldn't escape Beyoncé.

Where is she?

Lauren pointed to the other side of the room. Amid a group of people stood a stunning blonde woman holding a glass of champagne. Her back was turned, her hair straight and parted down the middle. She wore a short black dress that was lined with mesh over her shoulders and had cut out fabric stretched over her generous chest. Nicki wouldn't have been able to tell that the woman was Beyoncé if she hadn't recognised the dress. She had seen it in Beyoncé's closet, tucked away with all her glamorous clothes. Dressed like this, Beyoncé looked even more like the woman in the corset.

How does Robyn know her? Nicki asked

Lauren shrugged. I haven't had a chance to ask. Robyn has never mentioned her before. I think they're just part of the same rich people social circle.