Chapter 20: Silver Henderson

Start from the beginning

" 'Marie' calm down, you're gonna have a stroke," I stop her.

She looks at me, her eyes wide open, surprised. I bet she didn't realize she didn't breathe. 

" 'Marie' breathe. We have all the time to talk so take a deep breath."

" I'm sorry Silver, it's just ... everything that happens this week made me realize I'm not part of James's family ... and somehow it hurt more than I thought it would."

She whispers: 

"Now I just feel like I'm a ghost."

I pose my hand on her arm and then on her head. 

"What are you doing?" She ask, probably annoyed. 

"Checking if you're a ghost."

She hit my arm and treinsult me of being a "child". I laugh and take her back in my arms. 

"You're not a ghost, Demonia. You know, James is easily overwhelmed and he tends to forget to even eat. Rebecca told me he forgot to come to pick you up at the hospital. He's an idiot." 

She smiles a little and lay back in the grass. I know she's still hurt but I can't say anything more. She'll need to hear it from James. I lay next to her and we talk. I try to change her mood, and after sometimes I can hear my father's car music. It's playing I'll never forget you, not sure it fits the moment but 'Marie' seems to like it. She closes her eyes. She looks so peaceful. She's not back to her old self so her face still expresses emotion and at this time: it's beautiful. I can't get my eyes off her and I'm happy. Happy that I was able to help her. 

Around ten minutes later we decides to go back to my father. We walk back to the car, hand in hands. 

"Do you feel better, Marie?" Ask my dad.

" Yes, a little bit. Thank you, Cole."

" Nah it's nothing. Get in the car, kids!"

'Marie' sits at the back of the car and I choose to go with her. My dad started to drive, the radio still playing 90's music. "Marie" and I don't talk and I don't want to look at my phone because I want to be fully aware of her state. If a tear starts falling, again, I will whip it away immediately. 

We enter the highway and the music is cut by a phone ringtone.

"Oh right, you received a lot of notifications while you were away."

He gives us our phone. 'Marie' unlocked hers and I see lot of messages and missed calls ... from everyone. I unlock mine and it's the same thing. James probably called everyone to know where 'Marie' was. I didn't answer so he called everyone again to know why I didn't answer. And there it is a lot of notifications. I see "Marie" bitting her lips reading James's message. I don't think she's in a good state to call him back. I grab her hand.

"I'll do it, you'll sleep at my house tonight, alright?"

"Is it okay with you, Cole?" She asked, hesitant.

My dad laughs.

"Of course, what a silly question!"

My father smiles as 'Marie' thanks him. After a fast look at her, I call James. His parents are probably with him so I'll have to deal with them too.

"Silver? God, where were you? I left you so many messages."

"Sorry, sorry," I try to laugh, "but I fall asleep."

" Ah sorry, I'm just- Anyway, do you know where 'Marie' is? I've looked everywhere and I can't find her. She didn't come home after school."

 I look at 'Marie' who's looking at me. I'm going to lie. It's for the better.