Chapter Forty-Five - Sun Franco

...😁

Sitting on the bed and waiting for Axel to finish his shower, my mind raced with thoughts

Sitting on the bed and waiting for Axel to finish his shower, my mind raced with thoughts. What was next? What did he expect of me? What did he desire as compensation for all that he had done for me and my daughter? The enormity of his selfless act weighed heavily on me. He not only saved our lives but also numerous others, all because of me. It was only natural to assume that his request would be equally impactful.

As the bathroom door creaked open, he appeared wearing nothing but black boxers. It was an unusual sight and left me feeling perplexed. Until now, I had never seen him shirtless during my stay here. But what caught my attention was the strange mark on his chest that I had never noticed before. As far as I remember, it wasn't there when I was last with him.

He raked a hand through his wet hair and glanced at me, a smile on his face. He made his way to his side of the bed and slumped over it, leaning his back against the headboard and just watching me.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

There was only one feeling I felt right now and I didn't have enough words to describe it so I just said, "Lighter..."

He nodded with a slight smile, "Good..."

I swallowed, "What's next?"

He raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"What do you want me to do in return?"

He frowned, "In return for what?"

"For everything you did for me and everyone else, for shutting down that club, it was a huge favor, you must want something in return."

His frown deepened and he shook his head, "I don't want anything in return, Chloe."

I shook my head, "No..." I didn't believe it, I didn't believe it at all because if he didn't want anything in return then why would he be here? Why would I be here? He was keeping me here for a reason, "You do want something, or else why would I even be here?"

He straightened up, "Let's be honest here, Chloe. I'm the reason you ended up in that situation, it doesn't mean anything if I helped you get out of it. It's still on me."

I sucked in a sharp breath, I never wanted to talk about what had happened in the past, ever. It was something I'd rather forget. I don't want him to bring it up either because it was just too painful for me.

I was in love and he wasn't...

Maybe, he was but his love wasn't strong enough to give up his everything for it.

Whenever I think about the past all I can think about is how I gave up Alexa for him. It was nothing short of a miracle that she managed to survive, as back then, I had thought that I had lost my child forever. I had willingly given her up for him, I never wanted to be that girl again.