Chapter Thirteen - Alive Again

Axel assessed the new apartment

Axel assessed the new apartment. It was in an upscale area of Las Vegas, not too far from the Anarchy nightclub. Everything was set according to his taste.

Valentina stood in the corner, fidgeting with the file in her hand. Hoping, he won't find any mistake or find a way to yell at her.

When he didn't say anything, she said. "Sir, I brought everything you need here and..." she handed him a key. "All the important stuff is moved to the guest room, here is the key. It's the only one, no copies"

Axel took the key from her and nodded. "It's locked?"

"Yes, sir..."

"Is the car ready?" he asked as he glanced at himself in the mirror.

He didn't care about how he looked in the past few years, girls swooned over him, he knew he was a good-looking man but tonight he wanted to look his best.

When he left Richmonte, he couldn't wait to see her, and now when he was this close to her, he was afraid. Afraid of finally coming face to face with the woman he betrayed.

He left her, and he didn't even ask her before making a decision about both of their lives. Not even once did he think about how it was going to affect her or their relationship.

At the time, it seemed like the right decision. She deserved a better life. A life she always dreamed of, even if it came at the cost of their relationship.

But that didn't happen the way it was supposed to, the way he had envisioned it.

Something happened to her, something bad. Chloe would never work in a place like that. What happened to her when his dad was supporting her financially? What made her work in a place like that? Who was the woman that died? Why did Chloe change her name? Her identity?

He loosened his tie as he approached the elevator with hesitant steps. He stepped inside and pushed a button, the elevator door slid close as it rode down.

He headed out of the building, Anders opened the car door for him and he settled in the back.

Anger and grief.

The two emotions intermixed. His muscles were tensed, he needed the courage to see her.

Liquid courage.

"Anders, do you have something to drink?" he asked him.

Anders glanced at his boss through the rearview mirror as he drove to the Anarchy nightclub. He seemed nervous and scared, he had never seen him nervous or scared before. Axel has always been a confident young man, he always had a couldn't-care-less attitude but tonight he looked vulnerable.

"No, sir, I'm driving..."

He nodded, "Yeah, right..."

The car came to a halt. Axel's head whiplashed to his left as he saw the Anarchy's neon sign.