Chapter iii| Cove of The Ancestors

N E T E Y A M
Cove of The Ancestors
PT3

THE SKY IS BLAZED. Awa'atlu is a canvas of yellows and blues; warbling and buoyant. Every Na'vi lives tranquil. Newborn Metkayinas swim with their baby Ilus, their little buts wriggling to propel them further. It's endearing.

After the Ilu Pen, in which all Ilus swim about with their chirrups and along the howl of the ripples and rustles of the wind—Ao'nung takes us to the Cove of the Ancestors, the island's sacred place.

The canvas is now all blues, browns, and greens. Cerulean blue swallows us all. The sun is the only blazing thing; yellow with its sharp rays that glare upon the glistening dark sea.

We are afloat on our Ilus. The sea is cold and still without even a small waver. The cove is humongous along with the grand moldy rocks that tower and float with bright green grasses peeping about. They remind me of my home—the Hallelujah Mountains.

Once we plunge upon Tsireya's command, we Sullys gasp for air once we pop our heads.

My lungs sear and my eyes sting. Water floods my snout and mouth, in which I taste the saltiness and blandness of the sea. Ao'nung cradles me from behind; presses his torso against my back as his grip on the Ilu tightens.

He sets a hand on my chest to steady my heart and breath. His touch burns. His hand alone wraps almost my whole chest.

I keep on blinking the droplets from my eyes. As my vision restores from blurring, I am met with the most stupendous view of beauty ever. My jaw drops as my eyes widen and my ears twitch. My throat goes parched.

Around me, it's dark like night. There are mangrove trees one after another forming arches. There are opaque clouds, glinting their bioluminescence into the purple sea. There are gleaming plants and corals and fish that orbit us. They are all colorful and neon, their hues illuminating the brightest ever.

Ao'nung's fingertips fondle my nape as he tucks all my hair on one shoulder. I crane my neck to look at him, my dimmed yellow eyes gazing into his blue ones.

My world stills for the first time in a longest. The first time was three years back when I first met him. Those azure eyes are perpetually jabbing into me, making me feeble everywhere—to my every limb.

He smiles and nuzzles his nose with mine briefly, before flicking his chin ahead.

I see that there's a flicker to every glow—like turning it off and back on like a switch or a lantern. Father talks about those often. He gets mad sometimes that Pandora doesn't have such a thing as switches. He likes to wake at midnight and often trips and stumbles over our sleeping silhouettes because he can't see.

Some plants open and close their gaping maws. They retain pointed teeth and despite their threatening appearance, they look fascinating. The bioluminescence here is distinct from back home.

My eyes gape with awe. My heart clenches. An overheating feeling flares up my chest as I look upon a grinning Tuktirey, cradled comfortably in Kiri's joyful embrace. Rotxo stares at them both with fondness.

To the side is Lo'ak, starting at Tsireya with his one arm wrapped around her waist. Their bodies are so close, and at one moment, he swats his head away quickly—too fast as she cranes her neck to look at him.

"I never would've imagined being a tour guide," Ao'nung whispers in my ear. His large hand squeezes my upper right thigh and I lean my head on his shoulder. I breathe in his scent.

"I would've never imagined showing an outsider around, never less an Omatikaya," He adds. "I always thought of a pretty lady: a Metkayina. Have kids and rule my island."

My ears jerk as I hum in query. "What are you saying?" I ask him.

He peers at me with those doe-puppy eyes that I worship. I realize then how big his pupils are in comparison to mine. I realize how truly blue his eyes are with those emerald flecks that cower at bits. His eyes remind me of a reptile's, pupils shaped like slits.

"I am thankful to Eywa for you," He says, his breath fanning my warm face. There's an awkward sheen in his eyes and I can tell he doesn't say stuff like this often. I lift my head off his shoulder and smile as I clutch both of his fists.

"Now we're both back to holding the Ilu," I remark with jest.

He huffs air from his nose and rolls his eyes playfully. "No words for me, tree climber?"

"No words from the mighty warrior," I grin.

He pokes my belly button and I groan from surprise. He stares at me blankly, preying on my face, and inches closer and closer...and closer. I look at his lips. My own are agape and waiting to capture his—and we kiss.

I fist the back of his head and crane my neck hard to devour his lips as our heavy breaths entwine. His hand wraps around my neck, and for a second, I forget where we are. My abdomen tingles. I swirl my tongue in his mouth and—

"Ew! We still out here, cuz!" Lo'ak yells, covering his eyes, yet he steals a few peeks.

We part away timidly. Kiri is covering Tuktirey's eyes with an eyebrow raised while Rotxo is turned away, facing elsewhere as only the back of his fluffy curls is seen. Tsireya simply shrouds her impish smirk.

I almost want to slap myself because since when am I, Neteyam, The oldest son of Toruk Makto unaware of my surroundings? It should be my forte for fucks sake.

I turn and glare at Ao'nung, but when I see his blue eyes, I melt once again. I want to kiss him again. I want to cradle him tightly.

"Careful," I growl, jabbing a finger into his brick-hard chest.

He grins and nuzzles our noses together with friskiness. He does it quickly—in a blink of an eye—before I can pull away. I roll my eyes and mouth an "I hate you," and he grins harder.
I can never hate this man.

29