Chapter xv| Not The End

N E T E Y A M
Not The End
PT1

"AM I YOUR first kiss?" I ask Ao'nung, twiddling with his long turquoise fingers.

He snorts, and leans his head onto my chest, resting it there. I feel fresh with the warm water of the pond that swallows our frames with the tightest hug.

"You are," He replies grinning as he lifts his head to peer at me. I look down and gape into his azure eyes; they're doe-like at the moment, really big and impaling with innocence. I have the urge to squish his whole being and those beautiful plump cheeks.

When Ao'nung isn't smiling it's like the wind steers cold; his azure eyes are dull and that slim face of his is stiller than stone. But when he smiles I see that it's the brightest beam I've seen on any Na'vi. He looks squishy. Tempting to strangle with a hug or simply toss back and forth like a rag doll.

"Don't look at me like that," I say and peck his lips.

"Like what? I'm not doing anything," He whispers, his hands now fondling my thighs. They ride up and up and a chill runs down my spine. My tail flicks and curls up abruptly. His fingers dance upon my upper thighs—in which the tips brush my loincloth.

"I'll really miss you, 'tey," He breathes out.

My stomach flips. I caress his jaw and kiss his lips, once, twice, thrice—six times, maybe ten more times.

"No monkey boy? Or Forest boy?" I ask him with light amusement. He shakes his head and chortles.

"I can go back to calling you that. We don't gotta be cutesy like some mates."

I stifle a laugh and playfully shove him, taking him by a puff of surprise as he face-plants. He glares at me with water pouring down his face and I see that freaky white layer in his blinking.

"You tree-hugger! You pushed me hard!" He says, though his voice holds zero bites. I scratch my head and apologize, though it's not wholehearted. I laugh as I wipe the droplets from his face and eyes.

It dawns on me that soon this moment will be over. That he'll be going home in a few hours. His true home. His whole life. I smile forlornly, and my caresses soften as they slow. My fingers simply hover and ghost against his cool face.

And my heart wrenches—beats with agony, but my brain reminds me that it's not the end. When I'm older, he'll be mine. That is if he waits for me...given he's the son of Olo'eyktan Tonowari. But so am I—the son of Toruk Makto.

I don't know a thing about their Metkayina customs. On my part, father will certainly understand, and perhaps he'll hand the throne over to Lo'ak if I am to ever disappoint.

"Promise me you'll wait for me," I say, my eyes furrowed as I dart all around his face, memorizing every detail of his. Not one misses my eyes. He smirks and nods and leans onto my touch.

"I'm not interested in my people anyway," He says with jest. "I'd take a tree-climbing monkey over a fish any day." He laughs.

I roll my eyes despite the merry glint my eyes dance with.

"Promise me, Ao'nung?" I ask sternly.

"I promise you, 'Tey. I'm devious but I never break promises, yeah?"

__________________

Ao'nung and I are back hand in hand. The clan does their usual; cooking and crafting, some gone hunting, and others simply play with their festive children. Some mothers sing soulfully to Eywa and the clan. They sway side to side as their hands are locked with one another—their harmonizations echoing faintly throughout.